New to the residential and commercial electrical field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al718

Greetings fellow users! I recently graduated from an accredited trade school with a certificate in, "Electrical/Advance Electrical". I started off with a small company as an "Electrical Helper", I couldn't stand the monotony of doing service calls for minor repairs such as shorts, overloads, etc... I did some job hunting and landed a job with an electrical contractor who tackles on huge projects. I've been here for about ten days now and at times I feel absolutely clueless and anxious. I've been slowly picking up tricks here and there due to the extraordinary mechanics I work beside. I'm curious if anyone has felt this way in the very first few weeks out on the field. Feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

user 100

Greetings fellow users! I recently graduated from an accredited trade school with a certificate in, "Electrical/Advance Electrical". I started off with a small company as an "Electrical Helper", I couldn't stand the monotony of doing service calls for minor repairs such as shorts, overloads, etc... I did some job hunting and landed a job with an electrical contractor who tackles on huge projects. I've been here for about ten days now and at times I feel absolutely clueless and anxious. I've been slowly picking up tricks here and there due to the extraordinary mechanics I work beside. I'm curious if anyone has felt this way in the very first few weeks out on the field. Feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be fine. Work hard, pay attention, stay off the phone, and show up early are the big four. Most guys on those jobsites have felt the same way. You won't know everything and most employers know this. However try to learn as much about the trade as possible as during your off time and again, pay attention.

JeffBabineaux

Graduated this year for electrical engineering. I was told it's okay to feel clueless for the first year or so, and that I'll eventually know where to find the answers, even if I don't necessarily know the answers. Until then, I just ask a lot of questions, and don't hesitate to bring my own answer to the table before hearing how it's always been done. Some of the guys that graduated right before me got jobs with small companies where they were the only EE at a small company, with no support on site from other people in their field. I honestly don't know how they do it.

david

I kept a small pocket note book in my shirt pocket. Pull it out write things down . years later one of the foreman told me he knew I was going to make it when he seen we writing notes in the book.

Al718

I greatly appreciate the tips advice.

I greatly appreciate the tips advice.

I greatly appreciate the advice folks! I'm currently an "Electrical Helper", and the pocket book to take notes is an incredible idea! My foreman who is only twenty three years old would walk around with a little book and a pen, I wondered what he was doing and he told me that every new idea or trick he would jot down. I'm coming along, I store my phone in my tool bag along with other personal items that get locked away in the supply closet, so the phone is out of the question. I don't idol or fraternize with other tradesmen on the sites. Any questions that arise I immediately seek advice from the mechanics.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I'm slightly biased but you've come to the right place. I've seen exponential growth in my knowledge since I started hanging around here. Also it's nice to learn the correct, code compliant way to do things. I'm still trying to forget some of the stuff I've "learned" in the field. :roll:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I greatly appreciate the advice folks! I'm currently an "Electrical Helper", and the pocket book to take notes is an incredible idea! My foreman who is only twenty three years old would walk around with a little book and a pen, I wondered what he was doing and he told me that every new idea or trick he would jot down. I'm coming along, I store my phone in my tool bag along with other personal items that get locked away in the supply closet, so the phone is out of the question. I don't idol or fraternize with other tradesmen on the sites. Any questions that arise I immediately seek advice from the mechanics.
While you shouldn't take away from your bosses time, don't be to quick to not fraternize with the other tradesmen, you can learn from them too.

donaldelectrician

I can remember in 1969 that electricians were saying that the trade was complicated and needed to be specialized in certain ways ...now look at today !

Don

Tony S

It’s the same every where, you walk in to a new job and “you’re an outsider”.

Get to know the people you work with, they will help and I hate to say this “if they think you’re worth the effort”, equally you have to put that effort in.

I was very lucky, one of our foremen took me under his wing and put his own time in to teaching me. Years later I was stumped on a motor fault. In desperation I phoned Ted, he gave me the answer straight away. (I worked for a different company and he’d been retired 20 years, he still helped).

Cultivate friendships with your colleagues.

kwired

Electron manager
I felt that way when I first became an inspector.:cool:
I can see that being something that takes time to adjust to. One may be a very good electrician and will have his own methods of how to do some things, but as inspector you need to look beyond how you would do it and only consider what is code compliant.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I can see that being something that takes time to adjust to. One may be a very good electrician and will have his own methods of how to do some things, but as inspector you need to look beyond how you would do it and only consider what is code compliant.
That and I was surprised at how much I didn't know.

growler

Also it's nice to learn the correct, code compliant way to do things. I'm still trying to forget some of the stuff I've "learned" in the field. :roll:

I to remember the good old days. I remember guys that would go around quoteing code and many of them had never opened a code book. They didn't know the different between a job spec. and code.

Back then the code book was small enough that I could carry a soft back version in my tool bag and I would look things up at lunch. I like to read while I eat.

The only advice I give is that you learn with the ears and not the mouth. You may get some bad opinions on how to do things but you will figure this out as things go along.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
The trade is a lot broader than people think. Everything from tech to utilities to construction. Just be sure you know what you don't know. Most experienced folks are glad to share their knowledge, but if you come off as a know-it-all, they'll let you hang yourself. Like the saying goes...."Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth."

Status
Not open for further replies.