Demo and Wire and PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a windmill that backfeeds a building is removed, is the wire and/or conduit required to be removed? I cannot find it in the NEC and if that is the case, what is the best method for leaving it in place for future use? Determinate it in the panel that feeds it and label accordingly?

rsmike

I know I've seen something about labeling as 'abandoned in place'. But I'm not finding it in the code.

I think we can all agree if there is any chance of the wire becoming energized you should definitely terminate the wires properly.

I'd definitely put a big label on them with tags. You'd hate to do any damage to prevent future use impossible or expensive. Depending what type of panelboard the wires feed into would it be wise to remove the wires from the panel and "land" them in a small j-box outside of the panel. Wire nut the individual wires. Big label on the incoming wires and on the cover and on the wires INSIDE the box too.

RSLater,
RSmike

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Unless your "outlet" is supplied with one of >370, <380 wiring methods, I don't know of any requirement to pull the circuit conductors.

Lift the circuit conductors in the panel, insulate, label, and isolate. I don't think there's any need to pull back to a jb unless the wire insulation is compromised.

macmikeman

I know I've seen something about labeling as 'abandoned in place'. But I'm not finding it in the code.

I think we can all agree if there is any chance of the wire becoming energized you should definitely terminate the wires properly.

I'd definitely put a big label on them with tags. You'd hate to do any damage to prevent future use impossible or expensive. Depending what type of panelboard the wires feed into would it be wise to remove the wires from the panel and "land" them in a small j-box outside of the panel. Wire nut the individual wires. Big label on the incoming wires and on the cover and on the wires INSIDE the box too.

RSLater,
RSmike

That is a requirement for communications type wiring, and is addressed in various Chapter 7 sections of the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.