Inground Pool Bonding help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to really figure out the correct way of doing this...

I've read all the codes, Mike's Videos etc...

When bonding for an inground pool that has steel walls, vinyl liner, and will have paver patio around it what is the best approach.

I had one inspector say that it needs to be 1 single continuous piece of bare solid 8 awg that loops around and hits every metal piece....

To me it doesn't specify this anywhere in the code (2014) that it needs to be one continuous piece.... 680.20 B

The second portion of this is that the equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces 680.26(B)(2)(b) If I hit 4 points equally spaced around the steel wall of the pool and connect these points to the perimeter ring at the corect depths and measurements via approved connectors this ring does not need to go back to any panels, pumps etc correct?

It seems that in fact you have 2 "loops" around the pool one burried down by the light fixtures and other metal objects that leads back to the panel, pumps, heater etc and then you have a second loop at the surface that does not need to directly connect back to the pumps,panel, etc.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information on this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When bonding for an inground pool that has steel walls, vinyl liner, and will have paver patio around it what is the best approach.

I had one inspector say that it needs to be 1 single continuous piece of bare solid 8 awg that loops around and hits every metal piece....

To me it doesn't specify this anywhere in the code (2014) that it needs to be one continuous piece.... 680.20 B
I agree with you. It does not need to be continuous.

The second portion of this is that the equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces 680.26(B)(2)(b) If I hit 4 points equally spaced around the steel wall of the pool and connect these points to the perimeter ring at the corect depths and measurements via approved connectors this ring does not need to go back to any panels, pumps etc correct?
Again I agree

It seems that in fact you have 2 "loops" around the pool one burried down by the light fixtures and other metal objects that leads back to the panel, pumps, heater etc and then you have a second loop at the surface that does not need to directly connect back to the pumps,panel, etc.
It must tie back to something so that all perimeter surfaces and metal objects are at the same potential

stickboy1375

Here is how I do my pools, i'll start at the pool equipment pad and run a #8 all the way around the pool, then hit the rebar in four locations, I generally make this loop continuous, then i'll just come off the rebar again using a second clamp and hit any other objects such as pool lights, ladders, etc....

When i'm doing my first loop, I keep it out 18-24" so it counts as the perimeter bonding, the pool builders just don't extend the rebar grid out far enough, and you never see concrete patios in my area, usually just paver blocks or grass...

Thanks guy's I appreciate your time.

The home owner is doing pavers around this pool as well.

I'm installing 3 Hayward color logic 4.0 lights for them. In the manual it shows a solid bare #8 in the pvc run going to the light from the j box, and then in the next illustration it shows a #12 stranded jacketed conductor ... which is the correct conductor to use?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.