Steam generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph mulherin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I posted about this steam generator I was working on for my uncle, to help save him money, well the maintenance man he has went to fire it up and forgot to open the ball valve that leaves the float chamber, can you guess what happened, OK my question the water level control is not designed to handle pressure correct. The water went to the path of least resistance, and shot straight up into the box that has the micro switches I just replaced. I don't think it is designed to handle pressure, am I right? I could use some help trouble shooting this unit, so if there is anyone who has experience with these generators, sos guys its a steamist commercial steam generator the hc-24 model

Mulherin Electrical Contractors

Tony S

If I’ve understood you right, why not fit a micro switch to the float chamber valve? If the valve isn’t open the steam generator won’t start.

It’s basic plant control.

You say guess what happened, what did happen?

iwire

Staff member
I posted about this steam generator I was working on for my uncle, to help save him money, well the maintenance man he has went to fire it up and forgot to open the ball valve that leaves the float chamber, can you guess what happened, OK my question the water level control is not designed to handle pressure correct. The water went to the path of least resistance, and shot straight up into the box that has the micro switches I just replaced. I don't think it is designed to handle pressure, am I right? I could use some help trouble shooting this unit, so if there is anyone who has experience with these generators, sos guys its a steamist commercial steam generator the hc-24 model

If this unit has a ball valve on the outlet and does not have a T&P relief valve you are working on a bomb not a steam generator.

kwired

Electron manager
If this unit has a ball valve on the outlet and does not have a T&P relief valve you are working on a bomb not a steam generator.
True, steam not under something above atmosphere pressure isn't steam for very long.

Guess I don't know what a steam generator is - other then what most call a boiler, and the ones I am around the most that actually make steam and not just hot water run at around 100 PSI.

iwire

Staff member

Joseph mulherin

What I want to know is where the float chamber and the water level control, how much pressure is suppose to be there and how high is the water level suppose to get, is it suppose to fill up pass the ball in the float chamber all the way up to where the hookup is at for the water level control, I don't think the water should rise past the ball to much inside the float chamber, when the float chamber fills up the ball rises, closes the contacts and no more water should fill the float chamber right, I have worked on boilers not these here, can someone enlighten me please

Joseph mulherin

OK what happened is the water in the float chamber rose all the way up to the water level control and blast off out it comes shooting to the ceiling where the two micro switches are, where the float opens and closes the switches, the water is not suppose to get that high right

kwired

Electron manager
OK what happened is the water in the float chamber rose all the way up to the water level control and blast off out it comes shooting to the ceiling where the two micro switches are, where the float opens and closes the switches, the water is not suppose to get that high right

I would guess not if the switch is supposed to shut off the supply water valve, pump, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.