Transformer for 120v to 240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelli

Can I transform from a 120/208v to a 120/240v panel? This new panel has a 400a main brkr, so it is feeding some fairly large equipment. Thanks!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can I transform from a 120/208v to a 120/240v panel? This new panel has a 400a main brkr, so it is feeding some fairly large equipment. Thanks!

Sure you can. But that's a big transformer with a lot of losses. Just so you know, all the 120V load don't change, and many of the 240V load will likely be just fine with 208V, you should check first. If you find some of the 240V loads that absolutely must have 240V, it's probably a lot more cost effective and efficient to just use a closely sized buck-boost transformer right at those machines.

kelli

Thank-you! That is right! I haven't worked on this type of project for long and they are tanning beds that do absolutely require 240v, but I did see some buck-boost transformers on a prior project. Thank-you very much! Kelli

iwire

Staff member
Thank-you! That is right! I haven't worked on this type of project for long and they are tanning beds that do absolutely require 240v, but I did see some buck-boost transformers on a prior project. Thank-you very much! Kelli

If you have to supply a number of these beds it may make sense to set a panel in place and use one set of buck boosts to supply the entire panel.

Still much cheaper than buying a full size 208 to 240 transformer.

kelli

Thank-you once again for your help. They have the same issue, but this time want me to set a step-up transformer. Can someone lead me in the direction of a good manufacturer. I need dimensions, as it is a small electrical room. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.