bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

In thinking that way you'd also have to fail services that were utilizing the 6 movement rule if the service panel had 6 movements worth in it, but, had space for more breakers to be added.

JAP>

Only if the panel was not rated as service equipment -- true story

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I were inspecting that, I'd think "the minute I sign off on this, someone is going to add a receptacle in that space".

Funny you should say that because just last night at a meeting the local inspector said that he went to inspector a kitchen island and the ec put a receptacle under an overhang that was more than 6". To make it compliant the ec added 3 extension rings sticking out of the cabinet. He laughed and failed it.

Now we can argue whether the inspector has a right to fail it because someone may remove them when he leaves but in this case it is so obvious that ec needed to fail, imo

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Most disagreements about distances getting down to the nitty gritty is because at one point or other someone had to draw a line somewhere to be able to enforce a rule.
With that being said, I think putting a receptacle anywhere even close to that line where a bathtub is concerned is not a good idea whether code compliant or not.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most disagreements about distances getting down to the nitty gritty is because at one point or other someone had to draw a line somewhere to be able to enforce a rule.
With that being said, I think putting a receptacle anywhere even close to that line where a bathtub is concerned is not a good idea whether code compliant or not.

JAP>

You don't have much choice in some situations. All the houses where I grew up had a small bath sink next to a tub. Even with the receptacle on the opposite side of the sink it was still reachable from the tub.... We survived LOL

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You don't have much choice in some situations. All the houses where I grew up had a small bath sink next to a tub. Even with the receptacle on the opposite side of the sink it was still reachable from the tub.... We survived LOL

I survived also with 6 brothers and sisters and only 1 bathroom with no receptacles in it at all. Only a single keyless lamp holder with a bare 60 watt light bulb. :)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
I survived also with 6 brothers and sisters and only 1 bathroom with no receptacles in it at all. Only a single keyless lamp holder with a bare 60 watt light bulb. :)

JAP>
I was more fortunate then that, but I still remember the house my dad grew up in, 6 kids and parents - no receptacles in the bath, a pendant type lampholder with pull chain switch, it hung low enough you could reach it while in the tub - old cast iron claw foot tub with well grounded plumbing pipes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.