electrical room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi
I am designing a 2500A service to upgrade the existing service in a medical buildg.
to accomadate the the new service, I told the owner to build a new square shape, with fire-rated walls electrical room somewhere inside building
with one entry door and with a panic hardware opening to outside.

need to know follwings,
* what size ???
* How many doors ?
* do I need fire-rated walls

Thank you

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There are lots of combinations and sizes of equipment that can provide you with a 2,500 amp service. You really need to start by doing the electrical design, including the equipment selection.
It is likely that you need two doors or a much larger room. 110.26(C)(2)
The NEC does not require a fire rated room.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Don, design your equipment then tell them what they need for a room, or better yet find an area that has some flexibility and then design the gear and room to fit that area. Bigger room vs multiple entrances can be a big deal.

Keep in mind that service entrance conductors need to mostly be in a location that can be considered outside the building, that often puts lowest floor as the most logical place for service equipment, but there are ways around that if you want the service equipment on the highest floor.

NEC doesn't require fire rating on the room, other codes may.

mgookin

Hi
I am designing a 2500A service to upgrade the existing service in a medical buildg.
to accomadate the the new service, I told the owner to build a new square shape, with fire-rated walls electrical room somewhere inside building
with one entry door and with a panic hardware opening to outside.

need to know follwings,
* what size ???
* How many doors ?
* do I need fire-rated walls

Thank you

Can you elaborate on "medical building"? That could be either Business or Institutional occupancy classification.

Status
Not open for further replies.