POd bigtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
View attachment 13262 First use, a volley ball. You would think design is such that would not happen. They are LED. What the heck do we even need access at all?

There is starting to be a lot of retrofits to LED troffers in gyms. I'm sure that's not the first time that has happened.
My daughter played volleyball all through school and now coaches the game. ceilings take a beating........

macmikeman

Bad fixture choice for that application if you were to ask a highly qualified licensed electrician in the great state of Hawaii such as myself. P.S. maybe you could tek screw in some sort of rotating clasp to each of them to ensure it doesn't happen again.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Bad fixture choice for that application if you were to ask a highly qualified licensed electrician in the great state of Hawaii such as myself. P.S. maybe you could tek screw in some sort of rotating clasp to each of them to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I'm sure there is someone in here that will say that should have been in the job specs.......
But you are right. Bad fixture choice.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm sure there is someone in here that will say that should have been in the job specs.......

I could be wrong, but it looks more like a regular lay in fixture than a high bay gym light.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Yes, looks like it. Came from a reputable ?? manufacturer knowing full well where they were going. Document title includes "...School Gym..."

Rep says they need to know if the latch is broken or if they just came open, because they have "never had this problem before". Just like I've never heard that term used before.

Occupation
EC - retired
I remember when I was in high school, we intentionally kicked balls around in the gym to try to hit the ceiling. :lol::lol:
The school superintendent said he was not there to witness what happened, so intentional damage is a thought. We have a solution in mind for this job, but the neighboring school will most likely not get these fixtures.

I am taking suggestions, if someone has a fixture they liked.

Occupation
EC - retired
We ordered these fixtures with the factory installed options because we were informed they are a PIA to install afterwards. Must have been a PIA at the factory too, because it looks like we have to open all 28 fixtures, fight the lens assembly to get the hinge set correctly and close it up. Done correctly I don't see any thing short of dynamite opening them. View attachment 13286 Strip of light indicates hinge not set correctly. View attachment 13285 Corrected.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We ordered these fixtures with the factory installed options because we were informed they are a PIA to install afterwards. Must have been a PIA at the factory too, because it looks like we have to open all 28 fixtures, fight the lens assembly to get the hinge set correctly and close it up. Done correctly I don't see any thing short of dynamite opening them up.

or a ninth grade boys pe class playing "kill ball" on a rainy day.

i'd feel better if after i'd put the hinges in correctly, i put a tek screw in each of the four corners.
it's not like you are gonna be re lamping them anytime soon.....

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The school superintendent said he was not there to witness what happened, so intentional damage is a thought.
IMO there is a difference between "intentional damage" and a kid just seeing how high he (or she) can kick a volleyball and incidentally hitting a light fixture.

user 100

IMO there is a difference between "intentional damage" and a kid just seeing how high he (or she) can kick a volleyball and incidentally hitting a light fixture.

I agree here-accidents do happen and in school gyms if a piece of equipment can be damaged, it will be damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.