Don't I need to pull a neutral too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

I'm bidding a set of prints and it will be one of the bigger jobs I have done. There is 277V lighting on panel HA, these prints have been through plan check and the GC is pushing me for a bid now. I'll have to mesure it but I think it's closer to 350' in wire than the 630' approximated in the plans... It's a fair chunk of money in wire none the less.

image.jpg

five.five-six

I'm going to be asking for a lot of help on this job. While the only thing I haven't done before on this job is the watt stopper (it's well documented and seems simple enough), It's my bigest job to date.

ritelec

Bid per plans. Ask the question after you get the job.

I could never understand how that worked.

You would get prints you knew needed more and put that in your bid because of that phrase they put in there that you should visit the sight and are responsible for what is needed for the job.

How the other guy bids as what is exactly on the print then charges for the extra is beyond me ???

I would fear bidding 3 runs of the 500s but being responsible for the 4.

ritelec

I will add though. Those prints in no way show the 277. So anything about what the gc is talking about is above.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Keep in mind, if you do provide a neutral it only needs to be sized large enough to handle the load and no smaller than provided in 215.2. It does not necessarily need to be full size.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Keep in mind, if you do provide a neutral it only needs to be sized large enough to handle the load and no smaller than provided in 215.2. It does not necessarily need to be full size.

Very good point.

paul

I could never understand how that worked.

You would get prints you knew needed more and put that in your bid because of that phrase they put in there that you should visit the sight and are responsible for what is needed for the job.

How the other guy bids as what is exactly on the print then charges for the extra is beyond me ???

I would fear bidding 3 runs of the 500s but being responsible for the 4.
You could ask the question and hope for an addendum. Or you can bid per plans and send in an RFI and get a change order later.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You could ask the question and hope for an addendum. Or you can bid per plans and send in an RFI and get a change order later.

This can be a dicey proposition. The MEP firms ALL put in a catch-all note about providing a "code compliant installation", etc. Playing devil's advocate, as the GC or PM I'd just point to that note and say "tough luck, no change order".

On the other hand, on your submital you can put in very bold letters something to the effect that you're bidding to the plans and that code compliance issues discovered after award will be change order work.

Status
Not open for further replies.