2014 NEC 300.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricmcd

Does anyone have NEC 2014 300.5 D in a digital format they could post. I need to send this to a roofer friend. He hit an MC cable when working on a roof that wasn't protected. He would like to show the customer why the installation by the electrician was incorrect. I feel this best illustrates the code violation. This is an open beam ceiling with1/2" of rigid insulation and 1/2" plywood over that. Not protected with adequate nail plating or protective plates. Please help me help a friend...(The electrician that installed this MC cable was not licensed or certified in this state.
Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just to clarify, what do you mean by digital format? Are you looking for the text of the article to be typed into a post, or are you looking for a PDF to be attached to a post? Or is it something else you need?

jumper

Perhaps 300.4(D)?

(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members
and Furring Strips. In both exposed and concealed
locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is
installed parallel to framing members, such as joists,
rafters, or studs, or is installed parallel to furring strips, the
cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the
nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less
than 32 mm (11⁄4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing
member or furring strips where nails or screws are likely to
penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the
cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by
nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least
1.6 mm (1⁄16 in.) thick.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does anyone have NEC 2014 300.5 D in a digital format they could post. I need to send this to a roofer friend. He hit an MC cable when working on a roof that wasn't protected. He would like to show the customer why the installation by the electrician was incorrect. I feel this best illustrates the code violation. This is an open beam ceiling with1/2" of rigid insulation and 1/2" plywood over that. Not protected with adequate nail plating or protective plates. Please help me help a friend...(The electrician that installed this MC cable was not licensed or certified in this state.
Thanks

I think he really wants 300.4 D. depending on the installation it may have not been a violation.

Attachments

• 3004d.jpg
    3004d.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
I will take 300.4(E) for a $1,000 Alex

(E) Cables and Raceways Installed Under Roof Decking. A cable- or raceway-type wiring method, installed in exposed or concealed locations under metal-corrugated sheet roof decking, shall be installed and supported so the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than 38 mm (11⁄2 in.) from the nearest surface of the roof decking.

FPN: Roof decking material is often repaired or replaced after the initial raceway or cabling and roofing installation and may be penetrated by the screws or other mechanical devices designed to provide “hold down” strength of the waterproof membrane or roof insulating material.

Exception: Rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit shall not be required to comply with 300.4(E)

Status
Not open for further replies.