Pump Power cord splices in wet well below flood level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAPMarty

I am a plumbing and Mechanical contractor in southwest Florida. I ran across a Grinder pump and float switches in a 10 foot deep tank. It pumps storm water from a 2 bay truck loading dock. The below grade conduit between the control panel and the side of the tank is 1" pvc. at the side of the tank, about 5 feet below grade, the conduit is attached to a Cantex 7" box. The cord from the pump enters the side of the Cantex box with a cord adapter. The cords for the 3 float switches enter the box in same fashion. Inside the box, the cord conductors are spliced with wire nuts, to stranded wires that lead through the conduit, back to the control panel. There was a pump failure, could have been a jam, or perhaps an extended power interruption. The tank filled with storm water above the elevation of the Cantex box and water entered the open insulation surrounding the power cords for the floats and pump. pump is 3 phase 460 volt. Pump and float switches are ruined.
I have proposed to replace all in the tank with new pump and float switches, and install a larger conduit between control panel and tank that would allow all cords to be above ground before they are spliced to control panel conductors. Also, there is no 120 volt receptacle in the vicinity of this pump station to aid in emergency sump pump install or run power tools such as saw or ventilation fan. Would the original installation with the cord splices as described be a violation of the electrical code? Built approx 2006. Also, no 120 volt outlet for power tools seems to me to be a code violation. I have serviced 100's of lift stations in this area, and have seen no splices in tank on most of them. Can i site code violations to get owner to upgrade? Your input would be appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I re-opened this thread as the op says he is not going to be doing the work and feels most of the ec's around there probably have not seen this type of hookup.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
.....I have proposed to replace all in the tank with new pump and float switches, and install a larger conduit between control panel and tank that would allow all cords to be above ground before they are spliced to control panel conductors. Also, there is no 120 volt receptacle in the vicinity of this pump station to aid in emergency sump pump install or run power tools such as saw or ventilation fan. Would the original installation with the cord splices as described be a violation of the electrical code? Built approx 2006. Also, no 120 volt outlet for power tools seems to me to be a code violation. I have serviced 100's of lift stations in this area, and have seen no splices in tank on most of them. Can i site code violations to get owner to upgrade? Your input would be appreciated.
Your plan is a good one.

The box inside the wet well and lack of 120V are not code violations so you'll have to sell the job based on the notion that what you propose makes sense.

ASAPMarty

Your plan is a good one.

The box inside the wet well and lack of 120V are not code violations so you'll have to sell the job based on the notion that what you propose makes sense.

Thank You for the response. In Florida, a/c equipment that is outdoors must have a 120 volt receptacle nearby to aid in service. Kinda thought that lift stations would have a similar requirement. Seems like an over site in the code. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.