Urgent care center

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert pitre

I went to a Urgent care center today and I notice that the receptacles in the patient care area are just a regular receptacles, I know in patient care areas ,you suppose to use ,tamper-resistant hospital -grade receptacles. Now, were the hand washing sink in that same room,there is a GFIC receptacles with in 3',so that's ok, I'm guessing that Urgent care center is not a patient care place? The place has a doctor to check you,some type of bed for you to lay on. The wire that serve the receptacles has a black,white,green and a bare .Do any one know if the Nec code state Urgent Care Center does not have to hospital grade receptacles?and were?
There are two receptacles,plus one GFIC per room.
Thanks.

electricalist

517.18 is the area that defines how many outlets are required. (B) tells how many at bed location and that they are hospital grade.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Exception No. 2: The requirements of 517.18(A) shall not apply to patient bed locations in clinics, medical and dental offices, and outpatient facilities; psychiatric, substance abuse, and rehabilitation hospitals; sleeping rooms of nursing home;, and limited care facilities meeting the requirements of 517.10(B)(2)

Hospital grade receptacles not required in such a clinic. Still needs wiring method that qualifies as an equipment ground along with an insulated equipment grounding conductor or what many like to call redundant grounding.

TR receptacles are only required for pediatric care areas, this is in 517.18(C).

kwired

Electron manager
Isnt that dependant on the the patient care area type. General , critical, etc.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
Your typical clinic does not provide critical care, and is probably on a level below what the medical licensing industry considers general care as well.

You may run into facilities that have a lot of same activity as a clinic but also are licensed to do higher level care - those would need to comply with the higher level of care rules. Example would be an oral surgeon. They may do procedures that are done in the regular dentist office - but they also have anesthetizing abilities as some general operating rooms for some of the procedures they do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In the one were doing the notes on the power plan page of our prints specify hospital grade tr outlets.

Prints and designers can require more than code for no reason, in the OP's scenario, they are not required.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Where are hospital grade outlets required?

HG receptacles are not required in most patient care areas. See article sections 517.18, 517.19, 517. 61(B)(5), and 517.61(C)2 for HG receptacle requirements. (quoting 2011)

It is your prerogative to install them but it is not required.

Roger

electricalist

517.18 (b)
All recepticals shall be listed hospital grade and be identified as such. 2014
I dont have a readable 2011. Thats interesting if 11 doesnt require it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
517.18 (b)
All recepticals shall be listed hospital grade and be identified as such. 2014
I dont have a readable 2011. Thats interesting if 11 doesnt require it.

What you're missing is the definition of "Patient Bed"

Patient Bed Location.
The location of a patient sleeping
bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

Typical general care exam and treatment rooms do not have "Patient Beds"

Roger

electricalist

Youre right I misunderstood the definition of patient bed location.
You saved me or should i say our company a small fortune.
8 exam rooms
4 treatment rooms
4 observation rooms
X 8 outlets for each head wall.
Ty sir.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You're welcome but, if the prints call for them you probably don't have choice.

Roger

david

Youre right I misunderstood the definition of patient bed location.
You saved me or should i say our company a small fortune.
8 exam rooms
4 treatment rooms
4 observation rooms
X 8 outlets for each head wall.
Ty sir.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hanging your hat strictly on the definition of patient sleeping bed usually ends up as a disservice to the facility.

The wiring method in this area will be an assured grounding system using the principle of redundant grounding usually in the form of hospital grade MC Cable.

So the facility pays extra for an assured grounding system without the c o-part of the hospital grade rec. extending the advantage of the assured grounding to the patient

considering the patient bed and other exam chairs usually have a tag and a green dot on the cord stipulating the need for the equipment grounding to be assured by means of hospital grade receptacles.

With the end job push to occupy these facilities most of this equipment is either set up or in the process of being set up prior to the building code official receiving final inspection reports.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Mr. Dave after re reading ur post it sounds like ur saying I should be using hospital grade resepticles.

He's saying it's his opinion that you use them. The HG wiring methods of 517.13(A) and (B) must be used but the HG receptacles do not. David brings up the point that some patient care equipment has a CYA tag on the cords that want a HG receptacle but unless you have the submittals for the equipment you wouldn't know which pieces that is. I wouldn't worry about it until they showed up on site.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.