Garage recpt outlets Exterior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The difficulty, then, is how to quantify the "intending" of the direct connection. Who, and when, does the pivotal "intention" come from and how do I recognize it after the fact for all the rest of the existence of the installation of the assembly?
We don't seem to have that problem with the current definition of Lighting Outlet, so why will extending it to the definition of Outlet be a problem?

If you have an intention-free way to distinguish among blanked off junctions boxes (with power present), I'm all for it. I don't see one myself.

Consider a circuit whose outlets are all in locations not subject to AFCI, except for a splice in a junction box with a blank cover in a room subject to the AFCI requirements. If the inspector says "oh, that's an outlet, you must AFCI protect the circuit," is that a valid call? Only if the junction box is in the ceiling and the power fed to it is switched?

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
Consider a circuit whose outlets are all in locations not subject to AFCI, except for a splice in a junction box with a blank cover in a room subject to the AFCI requirements. If the inspector says "oh, that's an outlet, you must AFCI protect the circuit," is that a valid call? Only if the junction box is in the ceiling and the power fed to it is switched?

Cheers, Wayne
That is not so clear with 2014 as it was before, depending on your definition of outlet:roll:

Before 2014 if it was a junction box AFCI wasn't needed. 2014 if there is a device in the circuit in that box AFCI is needed. Is a wire nut a device? Maybe, maybe not - get ready for 200 more posts on this;)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
We don't seem to have that problem with the current definition of Lighting Outlet, so why will extending it to the definition of Outlet be a problem?

If you have an intention-free way to distinguish among blanked off junctions boxes (with power present), I'm all for it. I don't see one myself.

The Lighting Outlet that has no luminaire or lampholder is also regulated by other Code. The lumen level (or some equivalent measure) of lighting in an Occupancy is specified and enforced by building officials other than electrical. . . This verbal play and excursion into an Article 100 Lighting Outlet being "an outlet intended for the direct connection" is meaningless if the building official's light meter reads zero.

And for additional Lighting Outlets, that raise the meter readout above the minimum required by ordiance, I can believe that the CMP decided that was a design issue, the minimum is met, so electrical "intention" is enough.

kwired

Electron manager
The Lighting Outlet that has no luminaire or lampholder is also regulated by other Code. The lumen level (or some equivalent measure) of lighting in an Occupancy is specified and enforced by building officials other than electrical. . . This verbal play and excursion into an Article 100 Lighting Outlet being "an outlet intended for the direct connection" is meaningless if the building official's light meter reads zero.

And for additional Lighting Outlets, that raise the meter readout above the minimum required by ordiance, I can believe that the CMP decided that was a design issue, the minimum is met, so electrical "intention" is enough.

In some instances yes, others nobody cares about light levels.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Reference Pete Seeger's song "Waist deep in the Big Muddy (and the big fool says to push on)"
Writer: PETE SEEGER
Copyright: Lyrics ? T.R.O. INC

Well, I'm not going to point any moral;
I'll leave that for yourself
Maybe you're still walking, you're still talking
You'd like to keep your health.
But every time I read the papers
That old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.

Pretty relative as to who's the Captain and who's the Sergeant. Something about eye of the beholder comes to mind.

johnmeto

Banned
Such outlet circuits can supply different outlets inside the carport however not outside. This shows an issue for the withdrew carport with one and only branch circuit supplied to it (other then when a MWBC is utilized).

kwired

Electron manager
Such outlet circuits can supply different outlets inside the carport however not outside. This shows an issue for the withdrew carport with one and only branch circuit supplied to it (other then when a MWBC is utilized).

NEC has no specific rules on a "carport" other then it is considered a dwelling unit accessory structure. Power to a carport would be optional, there should be no required outlets either, unless you can cross some line that calls it a "garage".

Status
Not open for further replies.