EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
EGC

If I have a range receptacle installed 1960 with 3 wires I can not install a EGC on the outside of the cable to make it a 4 wire receptacle ? per code. ( not that I want to or would. just trying to understand this article .

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't see any language in 250.130(C) that restricts it to 120V receptacles.

Cheers, Wayne
But 240 is much more likely to be more than two poles in the first place.
It does not say you can do this for any ungrounded receptacle can be treated this way, only a two wire.
JMO, not having looked at the exact wording today.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
But 240 is much more likely to be more than two poles in the first place.
It does not say you can do this for any ungrounded receptacle can be treated this way, only a two wire.
250.130 (2011) doesn't use the word "two", as in two-wire. Is there a different section that refers to that? The last sentence of 250.130 says "For replacement of non–grounding-type receptacles with grounding-type receptacles and for branch circuit extensions only in existing installations that do not have an equipment grounding conductor in the branch circuit, connections shall be permitted as indicated in 250.130(C).

Cheers, Wayne

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I concur because 250.130(c) is referencing non-grounding type receptacles and circuits w/ no egc, and those 3wire range circuits and old NEMA 10-30 and 10-50 tombstones were just that.
Glad you agree. One thing I'm having trouble with. You list your location as Texas. I'm a Coloradan. Please tell me you moved there from somewhere else.;)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Glad you agree. One thing I'm having trouble with. You list your location as Texas. I'm a Coloradan. Please tell me you moved there from somewhere else.;)
I moved to Texas from Louisiana, but I moved to Austin, which isn't a whole lot like the rest of Texas. :)

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
egc

egc

If you were to run the EGC on the on the outside of the cable or conduit how would you terminate the EGC to the panel . if you use thhn wire ?

iwire

Staff member
YES you can.

One more time, that is only acceptable for existing installations.

From the sounds of it this homeowner ran the circuit without an EGC and then added one to the outside.

That is not existing, that is new work and is an NEC violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.