All incandescent bulbs have blackened - and they're not cajun

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Haven't gotten to house yet, but customer leaves a VM that the fridge stopped working, then hour or so later started working. Then they happened to look at the bulbs,in the house, and noticed they've developed a black film inside. First thought is lost neutral somewhere and then I remember the house only has 110 volt service.

So now I'm thinking low voltage and that's why the fridge stopped working. Anyone experienced a similar scenario? Tired and hoping I can make a quick stop.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Blackened lamps would indicate over not under voltage. Usually just before the lamp kicks off the mortal coil of life.

Is there a self resetting thermal cut out on the fridge compressor motor?
I agree, over voltage, which caused the fridge compressor to over heat and shut down, then when it cooled off, it re-started. TVs and other electronics may have taken a beating as well.

JFletcher

Could be coincidental occurrences ... fridge stops working a bit, HO checks out everything the best he can, notices bulbs are black. Could be the bulbs are near their end of life anyway, and the two are not related.

IIRC, incandescent bulbs run at half voltage would last 8x longer than designed, not blow out.

Fridge could be old, having compressor issues, went into a defrost cycle, loose plug/wires on receptacle causing intermittent contact, GFI tripped by kids and reset later w/o dad knowing, bulb in fridge is loose, mouse has partially chewed thru the cord, etc etc.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A halogen bulb run at significantly low voltage (and therefore low filament and envelope temperature) will not last as long as it should, and will also turn black before failing.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Chances are that 110 volt service is coming from a 120/240 POCO system so an open neutral can not automatically be ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.