comments due 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless there are a large number of people using paper comments or everyone is waiting the the last minute, it does not look like there will be very many comments for the 2017 NEC

It appears that the comment numbers are assigned sequentially when you make an online comment. I made one a couple of days ago and the comment number was 594.

bphgravity

For those keeping track:

NEC | Proposals | Comments

1996 3,850 2,586
1999 4,259 3,246
2002 4,506 2,434
2005 3,577 4,031
2008 3,688 2,349
2011 5,016 2,910
2014 3,745 1,625
2017 4,012

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have a number of comments I'm considering submitting, kind of last minute. :blink:

It doesn't appear that this year's process limits inputs at this point to previously proposed changes. They have a 'First Draft' already and the interface for submitting input appears to allow one to submit changes for any part of it. You can't even tell what has been revised in the First Draft without having a copy of the 2014 handy.

So I'm considering comments without regard to whether the First Draft is different or not from the 2014.

Does this comport with what people know? The entire thing is still open to change?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a number of comments I'm considering submitting, kind of last minute. :blink:

It doesn't appear that this year's process limits inputs at this point to previously proposed changes. They have a 'First Draft' already and the interface for submitting input appears to allow one to submit changes for any part of it. You can't even tell what has been revised in the First Draft without having a copy of the 2014 handy.

So I'm considering comments without regard to whether the First Draft is different or not from the 2014.

Does this comport with what people know? The entire thing is still open to change?
There's a stage in the Comment process which you have to cite the document number to which you are commenting (PI - public input, FR - first revision... forget others, 2 more I think). I have no idea how thorough the comment will be correlated to the cited document... :angel:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to spend more time digging through documents than I thought. :(
The pertinent documents are linked in the banner above each section. However, IIRC, TerraView does not let you view the pertinent doc's and make a comment at the same time. Advise when you view the doc's and want to comment that you either print them out or use the Save As Word button... for future reference in your comment.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So I have a comment all ready to submit, but the interface didn't bring my name over from my profile, and I can't edit the field on the 'Verification' page?

Should I worry about this? Or just submit?

bphgravity

1,506 Public Comments were submitted for the First Draft of the 2017 NEC. This is the lowest total in six code cycles.

The Second Draft Meetings will be November 1-14 in San Diego, CA.

raider1

Staff member
1,506 Public Comments were submitted for the First Draft of the 2017 NEC. This is the lowest total in six code cycles.

My guess would be that the new process for submitting public inputs and public comments is taking its toll on the number of comments submitted. The change in the dates of the first draft becoming public in conjunction with the shortened public comment period I felt were an issue.

I will be in San Diego the first week of November for the 2nd draft meetings with CMP 10.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
It seemed I talked to quite a few individuals who were unaware that the closing date for public comments was the 25th of September. In previous code cycles the closing dates were in October.

Chris

bphgravity

The Public Comments can now be viewed for those interested. http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=70&tab=nextedition

I have two first impressions:

1. I find it interesting that not a single comment was submitted to oppose the expansion of AFCI protection to all 120V, 15A & 20A branch circuits. Not even one.

2. Check out NEMA Public Comment 822 to First Revision 329. I believe this is irrefutable evidence that NEMA and it's members will put safety ahead of profit motive.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The Public Comments can now be viewed for those interested.....

1. I find it interesting that not a single comment was submitted to oppose the expansion of AFCI protection to all 120V, 15A & 20A branch circuits. Not even one.
Care to give an opinion why that's the case. I think it's because there is little doubt that the expansion was going through no matter what.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
The Public Comments can now be viewed for those interested. http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=70&tab=nextedition

I have two first impressions:

2. Check out NEMA Public Comment 822 to First Revision 329. I believe this is irrefutable evidence that NEMA and it's members will put safety ahead of profit motive.
Check again, Public comment 269-nfpa 70 2015
section no 210-12
PLEASE MORE PEOPLE COMMENT AND GET THESE THINGS OUTTA HERE!!!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I think it is because it is, in my opinion, much more time consuming to research the PIs and first draft in order to make a comment.

It appears to me that the new system was designed with the express intent of limiting the public participation in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.