Inspector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrobotronic

Hi All,
I was wondering if you all would still be helpful to me if I took an inspector position. I know the code fairly well, but not near as well as some of you and may require some help on things. I wish to be a fair and knowledgeable EI and want to bring the installer side into account when doing inspections. My goal is to tear down the wall between EIs and ECs.
As ALWAYS THANK YOU!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Its been my understanding that one of our main goals is to assist you with that endeavor.

mwm1752

Comunication & being able to teach is critical -- you will find there are many ways to be compliant so keep an open mind before judgement on issues -- good luck

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hi All,
I was wondering if you all would still be helpful to me if I took an inspector position. I know the code fairly well, but not near as well as some of you and may require some help on things. I wish to be a fair and knowledgeable EI and want to bring the installer side into account when doing inspections. My goal is to tear down the wall between EIs and ECs.
As ALWAYS THANK YOU!!
Good lord yes! I wish more inspectors would participate here.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If I were an inspector, I think the toughest part for me would be figuring out which of the following totally unrelated paths to follow to do my job as best I can.

1) Common Sense

2) The NEC

3) Color blind electrical theory

4) Past practices proven safe over decades

5) AFCI's

AJElectric

If I were an inspector, I think the toughest part for me would be figuring out which of the following totally unrelated paths to follow to do my job as best I can.

1) Common Sense

2) The NEC

5) AFCI's

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

electricalist

Welcome and as some knowledgeable guys answer you questions, feel free to correct any of my many mis interpretation s.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi All,
As ALWAYS THANK YOU!!

I think your goal as an inspector should be solely to inspect the installation to determine if the installation meets whatever requirements you are inspecting against. If it meets the requirements - it passes. If it does not meet the requirements - it does not pass. That's all you should be doing IMO.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

1) Common Sense

2) The NEC

5) AFCI's

The only things that matter are whatever codes are legally required to be followed if he is working directly or indirectly for a governmental agency.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The only things that matter are whatever codes are legally required to be followed if he is working directly or indirectly for a governmental agency.
If only life were that simple.

I agree in spirit. I hate shirt pocket rules. At some point any inspector has to make a judgement call. That's why there is room for appeal.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Hi All,
As ALWAYS THANK YOU!!

In a lot of jurisdictions you would be required to hold certifications as a Residential and/or Commercial Electrical Inspector. The International Code Council (ICC) provides testing for the certifications along with one for Electrical Plans Examiner. The ICC also provides testing for Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire, Energy, etc. You can find out more at www.iccsafe.org.

The Residential Electrical Inspector certification test is based on the electrical section of the International Residential Code book and that is based on the NEC.

You will need to check with the building departments in your area to see what their requirements are.

Status
Not open for further replies.