Public areas of 2 family Dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
This maybe a building code debate, but it concerns NEC 210.25 Common Area Branch Circuits. A buddy of mine just had a major remodel done on his duplex (two family unit) and it is a top and bottom style duplex. It has exterior stairs that go to the bottom unit. They had a light installed to illuminate the exterior stairs, but these stairs are mainly for the down stairs tenant's use, or their guests.

The question is, would you consider this for the 'public' or the tenants exclusive use. Reason being they have not installed another meter and the light is coming off the upstairs tenants power. At the very least in my opinion it should be fed off of the down stairs tenant power because they will be using it 99% of the time since they live there. And if something happens with the upstairs tenant power (not paying bill, or turning off breaker), then the tenant that lives down stairs will not have a well lit stairs to go to their unit.

He doesn't want to call it a 'public' because he would have to pay more to install another meter for the power. What do you think?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This maybe a building code debate, but it concerns NEC 210.25 Common Area Branch Circuits. A buddy of mine just had a major remodel done on his duplex (two family unit) and it is a top and bottom style duplex. It has exterior stairs that go to the bottom unit. They had a light installed to illuminate the exterior stairs, but these stairs are mainly for the down stairs tenant's use, or their guests.

The question is, would you consider this for the 'public' or the tenants exclusive use. Reason being they have not installed another meter and the light is coming off the upstairs tenants power. At the very least in my opinion it should be fed off of the down stairs tenant power because they will be using it 99% of the time since they live there. And if something happens with the upstairs tenant power (not paying bill, or turning off breaker), then the tenant that lives down stairs will not have a well lit stairs to go to their unit.

He doesn't want to call it a 'public' because he would have to pay more to install another meter for the power. What do you think?

Common area is not the same as public. In a nutshell, every tenant using the circuit needs access to the breakers for that circuit.

If the light serves the downstairs apt., the downstairs tenant needs control over it. All required exterior lighting serving the upstairs apt. needs to be able to be accessed by the upstairs tenant. If the light serves both, like in a common entrance, then both need access.

It sounds like there is a code violation for the downstairs exterior lighting if the breaker is in the upstairs apt.

iwire

Staff member
If the light serves the downstairs apt., the downstairs tenant needs control over it. All required exterior lighting serving the upstairs apt. needs to be able to be accessed by the upstairs tenant. If the light serves both, like in a common entrance, then both need access.

I agree unless that area has an amendment like we do in MA

210.25(B). Add an exception as follows:

Exception: Branch circuits supplying lighting outlets in common areas on the same floor as a dwelling unit in a new or existing two-family or an existing three-family building shall be permitted to be supplied from equipment that supplies one or more of those dwelling units.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I believe that under the building code a duplex is considered a "single family dwelling", so there would be no common area. It is simply two houses connected at a common wall.

david

I believe that under the building code a duplex is considered a "single family dwelling", so there would be no common area. It is simply two houses connected at a common wall.

That is interesting that your building code would do that. Under the IRC they would be the same occupancy class but it would still be a two family dwelling. One and two family dwelling's and town houses.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That is interesting that your building code would do that. Under the IRC they would be the same occupancy class but it would still be a two family dwelling. One and two family dwelling's and town houses.
What I really meant is that it is treated the same as a single family dwelling, I don't see where there would be any common area. Unless they are sharing the back yard and the front yard and it's sounding more to me like an unpermitted apartment. Here are duplexes are all side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.