358.30a exception 1 emt support

Status
Not open for further replies.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
I am wiring a metal building (garage). Vertical 2"x2" metal stud truss system spaced at 5'. I plan on mounting 4"x4" boxes (recepts) every other stud @ 4' from floor with emt horizontal from box to box with 1 strap on the center stud. This places the support within 5' of each box. In the code book I read this as acceptable, but than I read the handbook and their examples are saying on roof or ceiling supports. Am I correct with code book interpretation?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I think you're good. 358.30(A) exception 1 makes no mention as to whether it's ceiling or wall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
Thanks, that's what I thought. The code is pretty clear but the handbook got me with their example. Should have known better ,but its always great to have other opinions.

NorthwestPV

These work pretty good too, if you do need a strap to meet code.

http://www.erico.com/catalog/parts/812MB18A?pdf=1

We sandwich them behind the box. I use them a lot doing lighting in tilt ups with steel trusses.

We use these a lot in this exact application. I use the mounting clips that pound onto the steel truss and have the 1/4" stud through the bracket and the box. I then install tek screws from inside the box to make it even more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.