REVERSE SERVICE OUTLETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone have a good explanation of these, what they're used for and and where or where arent they allowed ?
First I've heard of them but from what I'm reading about them I thought they were not allowed.

To me it sounds like an energized male cord end posibbly off of a generator or the like but I may be all wet.

JAP>

jumper

Does anyone have a good explanation of these, what they're used for and and where or where arent they allowed ?
First I've heard of them but from what I'm reading about them I thought they were not allowed.

To me it sounds like an energized male cord end posibbly off of a generator or the like but I may be all wet.

JAP>

They look like some type of heavy duty generator inlet.

http://eslpwr.com/cmsv3/assets/downloads/s.1700-99ACR.pdf

A generator cord with an energized male end is called a "suicide cord", used to illegally back feed a normal receptacle to power a building,

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Hubbell shows in their catalogue a "Reverse Service" rated inlet.

Which my first thought was a technical name for a suicide cord.

But, I read somewhere else that they are only allowed under coast guard guidelines or something like that?

They are not like the picture jumper posted.... the look like a normal flanged inlet...

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Look at a Hubbell HBL2715SWR.

Not sure how to post a picture or a link.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So what's the difference between a Hubbell 2715SW and a Hubbell 2715SWR?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Some receptacles and plugs are certified for "Reverse Service" applications on marine vessels, for conformity to the installation and use provisions of the United States Coast Guard (USCG) Electrical Engineering Regulations 46CFR110, "General Provisions," 46CFR111, "Electric Systems - General Requirements," 46CFR112, "Emergency Lighting and Power Systems," and 46CFR113, "Communication and Alarm Systems and Equipment," as identified in the individual certifications and marked on the product. Reverse-service plugs and receptacles are not suitable for applications other than those governed by the above USCG regulations.

Authorities Having Jurisdiction should be consulted with regard to conditions under which these devices will be permitted for use. It is recognized that portable equipment should be used only where necessary.

????

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
So what's the difference between a Hubbell 2715SW and a Hubbell 2715SWR?

JAP>
My best guess - both similar style device, the SW is the typical "inlet" device the SWR is a "receptacle" device, but built on a similar chassis as the "inlet".

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My best guess - both similar style device, the SW is the typical "inlet" device the SWR is a "receptacle" device, but built on a similar chassis as the "inlet".

But then wouldnt the SWR require a "Suicide Cord" for lack of a better term, to energize the receptacle?

Which is what I'm getting at.

JAP>

Hendrix

But then wouldnt the SWR require a "Suicide Cord" for lack of a better term, to energize the receptacle?

Which is what I'm getting at.

JAP>

The cord would have a female end coming from the power source. The receptacle would have a male end.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The cord would have a female end coming from the power source. The receptacle would have a male end.

That's the norm but there has to be a difference between a standard flanged inlet and this new "reverse service" flanged inlet.

I've yet to hear what the diffence it between the (2) which is what I'm trying to figure out.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Otherwise,,, why would they make (2) different inlets that serve exactly the same function?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Just found a single sentence at the end of a description that indicated:

: A Reverse Service Inlet is an inlet with a mounting ring to accept a Reverse Service Plug.

It must have something to do with being able to retain the plug to the inlet like most larger pin and sleeeves have ???
JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Correction it did say " To accept a reverse service Plug".

To me a "Plug" has always been the male and a "Connector" has always been the female,,, I dont think that has changed.

I guess I'll just give up until I can find somebody from HWD who can explaing the difference.

I'll try and call.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.