Phase converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharan

Existing is 400 amp, 120/240V, 1 phase, 3 wire service for a Metra train station in Chicago.
Adding an elevator which requires 3 phase power. Is it safe to use a phase converter in this application? Any problems you may encounter?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
that's a question that should be asked of the elevator mfgs. I have 0 elevator experience, but do know that elevator motors are high torque, maybe a phase convertor won't work.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
that's a question that should be asked of the elevator mfgs. I have 0 elevator experience, but do know that elevator motors are high torque, maybe a phase convertor won't work.
Along those lines, anything related to passenger elevators generally must be tested and rated for elevator use, there are specific UL certifications and requirements to consider.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Existing is 400 amp, 120/240V, 1 phase, 3 wire service for a Metra train station in Chicago.
Adding an elevator which requires 3 phase power. Is it safe to use a phase converter in this application? Any problems you may encounter?

I'd bet this can't be the first time this issue has come up. I'd ask the elevator manufacturer if a VFD option is available. VFD's can convert single phase to three phase (as long as they're sized properly), as well as control speed and direction. Probably a better option than a phase converter. They might even have a VFD kit designed for situations like this. Out of curiosity, were you thinking of a rotary or static type?

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.