Ground Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Dear Friends,

I am working on a project for which I have to size the ground conductor from the service point to MCC.
The service point is 12.47 kv that I step it down to 4.16kv via delta-wye transformer. The neutral point of the transformer secondary is grounded via high resistance ground (HRG). The secondary of the transformer feeds a MV MCC.

My question is based on NEC 250 what size of ground conductor do I have to select between transformer secondary and MV MCC? Do I need to size it based on 250.122 or can I select a smaller size of the ground conductor since my ground current will never be greater than 10 A? The secondary breaker is 1200 A. What is the minimum ground conductor size I can select that fulfill NEC?

Thanks,

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Dear Friends,

I am working on a project for which I have to size the ground conductor from the service point to MCC.
The service point is 12.47 kv that I step it down to 4.16kv via delta-wye transformer. The neutral point of the transformer secondary is grounded via high resistance ground (HRG). The secondary of the transformer feeds a MV MCC.

My question is based on NEC 250 what size of ground conductor do I have to select between transformer secondary and MV MCC? Do I need to size it based on 250.122 or can I select a smaller size of the ground conductor since my ground current will never be greater than 10 A? The secondary breaker is 1200 A. What is the minimum ground conductor size I can select that fulfill NEC?

Thanks,

250.122 is for selecting the size of the equipment grounding conductor (EGC). The EGC (if it is a wire) is always sized based on the rating of the upstream OCPD.

I don't see any exceptions that would allow you to size it any smaller. No wire type EGC is required at all if you use some kind of metallic raceway.

250.122 Size of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
(A) General. Copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum
equipment grounding conductors of the wire type shall not
be smaller than shown in Table 250.122 ...

I am not entirely sure though that the conductor you are asking about is actually an EGC.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the service point you talk about is not also the service disconnect. it is still service wiring and there should be a grounded conductor but not an EGC or GEC.

Electriman

250.122 is for selecting the size of the equipment grounding conductor (EGC). The EGC (if it is a wire) is always sized based on the rating of the upstream OCPD.

I don't see any exceptions that would allow you to size it any smaller. No wire type EGC is required at all if you use some kind of metallic raceway.

I am not entirely sure though that the conductor you are asking about is actually an EGC.

Let me correct myself. The wire that I am talking about is a ground conductor coming from transformer ground pad (not neutral point) to ground bus of the MV MCC.

My system is three wire but based on the NEC 250.120 I have to run another wire for grounding (EGC).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Let me correct myself. The wire that I am talking about is a ground conductor coming from transformer ground pad (not neutral point) to ground bus of the MV MCC.

My system is three wire but based on the NEC 250.120 I have to run another wire for grounding (EGC).

this might actually be the SSBJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.