Running power 4000 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So this skips as an outbuilding? I remember older codes allowed this, but I am sure new additions of the NEC do not...?
The difference is that the outbuilding us NOT being fed from the service. The building is being fed by an SDS and the loads inside the building are fed from a second SDS.
Whether the second transformer is in/on the building or separate from it (pad or pole mount), the feeder to the building is not electrically continuous with the original service.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Continued....
Not sure where or if it is in [2011] or earlier. but the use of the grounded conductor only in the feeder to the outbuilding is, as called out on the diagram, allowed by 250.30(A)(1) in the [2014] code specifically when an SDS is used.
Yes, that is the key. That is why the exception is called out on the drawing (250.30(A)(1) Exception 2), as most think at first glance this is not a compliant installation. PVC conduit (no metallic path). This way you only need 2 conductors for the long 600 volt conductors. Makes for a very efficient use of conductor. Safe and code compliant.

Tony S

I designed a similar job for use in South Africa. A little bit longer but almost the same specification. It was over hard terrain which added to the cost.

The bespoke transformers came in at ZAR 20,000/£1000/$1500 each.
You have to work out the savings in cable CSA and obviously the labour costs involved in laying.

I like jobs like this, the customer doesn’t want poles spoiling his view so will pay the required amount. What the customer wants, the customer gets (for a price).

The South African job was laid UG to remove the possibility of the copper being stolen from OH lines. It’s a problem here, I don’t know about your side of the pond but in SA it’s a foregone conclusion it will go missing.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The difference is that the outbuilding us NOT being fed from the service. The building is being fed by an SDS and the loads inside the building are fed from a second SDS.
Whether the second transformer is in/on the building or separate from it (pad or pole mount), the feeder to the building is not electrically continuous with the original service.

Correct, however there will be at least a 10 to 15 volt drop across the grounded conductor which will transfer into the structure. 15 volts while standing outside on earth can become a problem.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Correct, however there will be at least a 10 to 15 volt drop across the grounded conductor which will transfer into the structure. 15 volts while standing outside on earth can become a problem.
A good point to consider!
It would not transfer into the structure if the *second* transformer used only the local GES and did not have a connection to the long neutral.
Not quite as in the diagram, but acceptable I think.
Worst case make the long link ungrounded with a ground sensor.
Maybe....

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
A good point to consider!
It would not transfer into the structure if the *second* transformer used only the local GES and did not have a connection to the long neutral.
Not quite as in the diagram, but acceptable I think.
Worst case make the long link ungrounded with a ground sensor.
Maybe....

But would that be to code? Dont all incoming neutrals need to be bonded to the system?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
But would that be to code? Dont all incoming neutrals need to be bonded to the system?
Perhaps, but the long feed does not have a neutral and need not have a grounded conductor either.
But I do not think that there is any requirement that the grounded conductors of two buildings, one of which is part of an SDS, be bonded, just that be separately earthed.
And the GES systems of two buildings without a common service need not be bonded to each other.
JMO. :) I would give the most credibility to a working electrician who has gotten this accepted by an AHJ subject to the NEC.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Question about the diagram in Post 49:

The diagram shows one conductor on the long 600V feeder being grounded, so the other conductor is 600V to ground. Could one instead use a transformer whose 600V coil is center tapped, ground the center tap, and then run only the two ungrounded conductors in the long feeder? Are such transformers readily available? Maybe this is what GoldDigger just proposed in the previous post. Would this arrangement have any advantages over the Post 49 diagram?

Just wondering, thanks.

Cheers, Wayne

You could consider this as a possible economical solution:

Texie, that is ingenious! I have debated these transformered long wire runs a number of times and the EGC was always an annoying thing that there seemed to be no way around.

Regarding the 1000V option, note that 1KV PV wire is also rated 2KV so that is super tempting. I am not sure what your transformer options would be and what would dictate terminations. 1 KV terminations are just like <600V ones.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I did the math, assuming 120/240, unity power factor and 50 amps of balanced load (little to no neutral current), I would need 600 kcmil copper to have 3% voltage drop or 750 kcmil for a 3.5% voltage drop. Pulling this 4,000 feet will be a new one.

At a full 80 amps the voltage drop is 4.7%, but I would call this exceptable since a full 80amps of load is will not be common or continuous.

One the other hand going 600 volts I can use 1/0 copper or 3/0 AL assuming 20amps of current (50 on the 120/240 secondary)

1000 volts will let me use #4 cu at a 2.6% voltage drop, #6 for a 4% drop and #2AL for a 2.7% drop.

There is a difference between 1000 and 600 volt when it comes to cable savings.

when you go to buy that 750 copper, you'll need 12,000' of it, to save those transformers.....
so you know when you have enough, you'll need four times this amount:

we need a bigger boat......

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The difference between 600 volts and 1000 volts is going to minimal as far as wire size. Going with 600 volts will allow you to use off the shelf equipment (transformers, panels, disconnects) and standard THWN or XHHW wire. Going with 1000 volts will require custom special order equipment and more expensive medium voltage wire. You will also have additional cost for terminating the medium voltage.

I would guess the bump from 600 to 1000 will add a substantial cost to the project.

Another thing to consider is future repair. If the transformers fail or get damaged the customer is going to be without power for an extended time while new equipment is built. 600 volts transformers and distribution equipment are stock items.

+1 on all of that....
and the nod goes to the voice of reason from san jose.....
575 volts is off the shelf on most of this.... you'll have
to get someone to make up the transformers, as they
are not really used much in the US, but i'd bet it adds
maybe 20% to the cost of the transformers, tapping them
at 575 instead of 480.... everything else is just toss it together,
and you are done.

and 1,000 volts makes it into a bastard thing, and what
you are going to save in reduced wire size will disappear
like the morning mist when you upgrade the wire insulation, and
get specially wound transformers that don't exist anywhere.

stuff made out of unobtanium is more expensive, generally speaking.

+1 on all of that....
and the nod goes to the voice of reason from san jose.....
575 volts is off the shelf on most of this.... you'll have
to get someone to make up the transformers, as they
are not really used much in the US, but i'd bet it adds
maybe 20% to the cost of the transformers, tapping them
at 575 instead of 480.... everything else is just toss it together,
and you are done.

and 1,000 volts makes it into a bastard thing, and what
you are going to save in reduced wire size will disappear
like the morning mist when you upgrade the wire insulation, and
get specially wound transformers that don't exist anywhere.

stuff made out of unobtanium is more expensive, generally speaking.

Maybe. Going to 2 KV saves dramatically on wire. Say we are talking single phase, 20kva, 3% VD. At 2KV, #8 copper will do it. 1KV/2KV PV wire is about 50% more than THHN, so two 4000' runs would be $4440. At 600V you would need 500 AL which, extrapolating from the last time I priced 250, would be $2/ft so $16000 for the 600V option. That is a lot and it doesnt figure increased labor and conduit costs.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe. Going to 2 KV saves dramatically on wire. Say we are talking single phase, 20kva, 3% VD. At 2KV, #8 copper will do it. 1KV/2KV PV wire is about 50% more than THHN, so two 4000' runs would be $4440. At 600V you would need 500 AL which, extrapolating from the last time I priced 250, would be $2/ft so $16000 for the 600V option. That is a lot and it doesnt figure increased labor and conduit costs.

I just punched the info into one of the online calculators and I get 2.7% drop using 350 kcmil AL single phase. 3/0 AL would give you a 2.8% drop if using 3 phase.

In Canada 600Y/347 is a common utilization voltage so getting transformers should be easy.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Perhaps, but the long feed does not have a neutral and need not have a grounded conductor either.
If you want the long feed to be just two conductors, with no EGC or bonding jumper, then I think it needs to have a grounded conductor. 250.30(A)(2) requires a supply-side bonding jumper be installed with the circuit conductors, with the following exception:

Exception: A supply-side bonding jumper shall not be required between enclosures for installations made in compliance with 250.30(A)(1), Exception No. 2.

So ignore my previous post, I see now the point of having one circuit conductor grounded is so that you can use 250.30(A)(1), Exception No. 2, to earth the grounded conductor at both ends of the long run, and use the above exception to avoid any EGC or bonding jumper.

Cheers, Wayne

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
One option I heard and researched today is buying two 10kva pad-mounts and interconnect them via URD concentric neutral cable. Only issue is I have no idea how to make that NEC complaint.

kwired

Electron manager
One option I heard and researched today is buying two 10kva pad-mounts and interconnect them via URD concentric neutral cable. Only issue is I have no idea how to make that NEC complaint.
As shown in the image in post 49. That post makes me have to take back some of what I said in post 33 on running medium voltage but needing a third conductor for equipment grounding - but you can not have other conductive paths between the two structures either, shield on a telephone cable could get you if you have this, or a metal piping system between them.

Still don't know if cost will be less then larger low voltage conductors/cables. Don't know how much a 2.4 or 7.2 padmount would cost, guessing both are common enough they would be in same price range as POCO's use a lot of them. Next item that a POCO would not typically need is a disconnect (on the meduim voltage line) at the second structure, my guess is they cost just a little more then a typical 240 volt 100 amp safety switch.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
As shown in the image in post 49. That post makes me have to take back some of what I said in post 33 on running medium voltage but needing a third conductor for equipment grounding - but you can not have other conductive paths between the two structures either, shield on a telephone cable could get you if you have this, or a metal piping system between them.

Still don't know if cost will be less then larger low voltage conductors/cables. Don't know how much a 2.4 or 7.2 padmount would cost, guessing both are common enough they would be in same price range as POCO's use a lot of them. Next item that a POCO would not typically need is a disconnect (on the meduim voltage line) at the second structure, my guess is they cost just a little more then a typical 240 volt 100 amp safety switch.

If the Pad is outside, I can skip the switch and run the secondary directly into a disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.