6000 watts 3 phase on electric water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I'm trying to figure it out.Because plumbers blaming us for burning heat elements for water heater. Not sure what happen but according to plumbers elements burn because to much power

Heaters burn out because they were connected to a higher voltage than they were designed for or, they were no submersed in water when they were powered.

The amount of power that the heated draws is fixed by the heater design and the applied voltage.

I'm not bashing plumbers but I think they are just trying to put the blame on someone else.

Who is responsible for getting the correct water heater or even replacement elements? It's not the electrician.

If an electrician were to power up a water heater before it was filled with water he could be at fault.

Is this a new install or an existing unit that the plumbers have been repairings?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The plumber should install a heater that is based on the nominal voltage of the building. If the supply is 208 volts then he should use a 208 volt rated HWH.

iwire

Staff member
A 3Ph heater can be delta or star connected. Why do you think I asked for the rating plate details?

You wont find that as a feild option on water heaters here. At least not commonly.

That will be internal connections made by the manufacturer, the field connections will simply be L1, L2, L3.

Tony S

I worked for a multinational chemical company. Much of our equipment was imported from the states including a 250HP mill gearbox and oil heater. Somehow the heater got connected delta instead of star, the oil carbonized and ruined the gearbox.

You won’t find that as a field option on water heaters here” is a bold statement to make when non of us, including you, know the facts.

kwired

Electron manager
You wont find that as a feild option on water heaters here. At least not commonly.

That will be internal connections made by the manufacturer, the field connections will simply be L1, L2, L3.
Maybe not for domestic hot water heaters, but I have seen other three phase immersion type heaters that you can field connect delta for 240 volts application and wye connect for 480 volts supply. If the unit were rated 6000 watts at 240 volts connecting it wye places 277 volts across each element segment instead of 240 so a little increase in output at 480 volts so output is somewhere a little less then 8000 watts this method, of course it needs to be designed to handle that higher capacity.

growler

in NYC Voltage is 120/240V i never understand that how it can be 240 if we measure it at almost 220V

In NYC I am sure some areas are 208 and some are 240.

Michal the 120/240V you are probably used to is residential single phase.

There are young electricians around here that have never seen 240V on a three phase commercial job and this can lead to problems.

It is normal for newer commercial to have 208Y-120V. When you get into older areas or areas where there was light industrial you may find 240 Delta -120V with the third leg as a high leg or stinger as some call it, this leg has 208 volts to ground.

Just a word of caution, if you find a 240V three phase system then be carefull when hooking up 120V loads. Only two of the three phases can be used for 120V loads.

michalspike

I'm not bashing plumbers but I think they are just trying to put the blame on someone else.

Who is responsible for getting the correct water heater or even replacement elements? It's not the electrician.

If an electrician were to power up a water heater before it was filled with water he could be at fault.

Is this a new install or an existing unit that the plumbers have been repairings?
Is anew instal.
And we put 30 Amp breaker for it. So it can't drawn more then that.

michalspike

Water heater was working for some time and suddenly stop working.
I think plumbers did something to a pump and they might drain water.
But nobody will admit that is my fault. i was just trying to find out that wasn't my fault.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm trying to figure it out.Because plumbers blaming us for burning heat elements for water heater. Not sure what happen but according to plumbers elements burn because to much power

What is the nameplate voltage on the unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.