Bonding conductor in patient care area/environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunuelbresson

Hi,

I am hoping some of you might have some experience with hospital wiring.

I am confused as to whether we need 2 different bonding conductors per circuit in the patient care area. I know we need 2 bonding conductors per circuit in the patient care environment (bed vicinity).

Of course you can share bonding conductors and there are rules. But in general do you need the 2 bonding conductors in the patient care area and in the environment(bed vicinity).

Finally can you use your EMT conduit as a bonding conductor?

Thank you

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hi,

I am hoping some of you might have some experience with hospital wiring.

I am confused as to whether we need 2 different bonding conductors per circuit in the patient care area. I know we need 2 bonding conductors per circuit in the patient care environment (bed vicinity).

Of course you can share bonding conductors and there are rules. But in general do you need the 2 bonding conductors in the patient care area and in the environment(bed vicinity).

Finally can you use your EMT conduit as a bonding conductor?

Thank you

If I understand your question correctly...

517.13 is the code article that covers your question. It applies to all patient care areas, so does not specifically address patient bed locations. And you actually have to use EMT or a similar listed metal raceway or cable for one of your ground fault current paths. You can't just pull a second ground conductor and use say, over 6 feet of Greenfield (FMC).

bunuelbresson

If I understand your question correctly...

517.13 is the code article that covers your question. It applies to all patient care areas, so does not specifically address patient bed locations. And you actually have to use EMT or a similar listed metal raceway or cable for one of your ground fault current paths. You can't just pull a second ground conductor and use say, over 6 feet of Greenfield (FMC).

Thanks, that answers my question regarding the EMT as ground conductor.

However from what I understood is that you need a second bonding conductor for each circuit in the conduit in patient care areas...?!

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Thanks, that answers my question regarding the EMT as ground conductor.

However from what I understood is that you need a second bonding conductor for each circuit in the conduit in patient care areas...?!
The second bonding conductor is 517.13(B) The conduit is 517.13(A). I don't mean to be condescending, but you must read the code articles themselves. There are a lot of experts here and they will not hesitate to correct me when (note I didn't say IF) I am wrong, or anyone else, but nothing beats reading the articles yourself and then coming here to discuss them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
.... However from what I understood is that you need a second bonding conductor for each circuit in the conduit in patient care areas...?!
You need an EGC of the wire type along with a metallic raceway or metallic cable jacket that is listed in 250.118 as being an EGC.

electricalist

For what its worth the actually patient care area ,location, bed etc as well as critical essential and life safety are worth reading as many times as you can stand it as well as your scope of work.
Speaking for myself only theres $1k per room out the window if even one of the terms are slightly mis interpreted.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.