Aircraft Hangers Explosion proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What extent to the Receptacles, Switches and lighting for small aircraft type hangers. I will go back to text book when back in office, Just like to get a good article number on it. I don't no the use besides storage. The hangers are 20 feet high by 45. Are lights, Receptacles and switches fall under the Art 513. Also their is a Motor controller setup for bi-fold doors. Any input.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What extent to the Receptacles, Switches and lighting for small aircraft type hangers. I will go back to text book when back in office, Just like to get a good article number on it. I don't no the use besides storage. The hangers are 20 feet high by 45. Are lights, Receptacles and switches fall under the Art 513. Also their is a Motor controller setup for bi-fold doors. Any input.

Article 511-7a;b States

Any equipment that might produce an arc or spark, and which is less than 12 feet above floor level, must have a tight enclosure that will prevent the escape of any arc or spark. Charging panels, motors, Generators, SWITCHES, if installed less than 12 ft above the floor, should be the totatly enclosed type. Per SEC 511-7 a. ( this is old code 1996 diagram). probably different.

511 pertain to garages only?

kwired

Electron manager
513.3 tells you what you are looking for.

513.3(A) and (B) tell you everything on/below floor level is classified up to 18 inches above the floor.

513.3(C) gives you additional classified areas within the aircraft vicinity, main emphasis is on the location of power plants and fuel tanks. second part is for a hanger where painting activity will occur.

Ventilation and methods of cutting off the area to effectively make a different space can come into play in defining classified areas.

Lights, switches, receptacles in a common storage hanger only present problems if below 18" above the floor or if they are too close to power plants/fuel tanks, I would think they mean where the usual storage location of the plane is when determining the location. If you have a plane that barely fits into the hanger (not uncommon at small rural airports) - you need to watch more closely where the hazardous location is, if they are not trying to stuff the plane into a tight box - your overhead dimensions are the main ones that can get you.

rlundsrud

While I don't know what specific classification hangars fall under, as a pilot I know the hangars our club uses are just regular nema 1 outlets. I believe this is because you would never start the engine in the hangar, you always tow the aircraft outside and then start it. The hangars are at least 15-20 years old, so perhaps they were built under different code requirements, but I really can't see the need for anything beyond nema 1. By the same logic, why are residential garages not an xp enviroment? The same conditions exist in either.

kwired

Electron manager
While I don't know what specific classification hangars fall under, as a pilot I know the hangars our club uses are just regular nema 1 outlets. I believe this is because you would never start the engine in the hangar, you always tow the aircraft outside and then start it. The hangars are at least 15-20 years old, so perhaps they were built under different code requirements, but I really can't see the need for anything beyond nema 1. By the same logic, why are residential garages not an xp enviroment? The same conditions exist in either.

I don't know much about aviation fuel or how it is handled on the aircraft, but just looking at the requirements in 513.3 seems to indicate there is potentially some risk of combustible gases in the vicinity of where the fuel tanks are located on an average plane, and that those gases must be heavy enough that they must typically find their way to the floor or else we wouldn't have the classified area below 18" in the entire facility.

ServiceCall

We wire personal hangers here at a fly in community, everything above 18" is nema 1. Standard devices although GFCI receptacles are used.

Sent from my house using the binary system!

kwired

Electron manager
We wire personal hangers here at a fly in community, everything above 18" is nema 1. Standard devices although GFCI receptacles are used.

And I believe 210.8(B)(8) would require GFCI protection on the 15/20 amp 120 volt receptacles. Maybe a little debatable but the "and similar areas" seems to make most of these applications fit that section.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Just a note, Only if you come from overhead, No explosion fittings. But from below u must have, NEMA 1 still ok, If you out of the BOUNDARY Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.