Recommedation for a motor rewinding shop in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.bisnath

Good day,
Can any one recommend a good rewinding shop preferably in the Florida area that can rewind a 4160 volt 1500 hp Siemens 880S frame ,VPI will be required.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
We've had good luck with Monarch in Cleveland. Now they are IPS and have regional repair shops all over the country. I think they may have one in AL and SC. The Cleveland shop just rewound a 12,000 hp synchronous machine for us.

http://www.ips.ca/

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Florida Bearings, Inc (now a subdivision of Kaman) has a rewind shop in Orlando area. I've been to their facility (~2.5 years ago) and doubt they can do 1500 HP. Don't know about VPI. Link

I also saw at a rewind tag at wastewater plant from Stewart's Electric Motor Works, Inc out of Orlando. I can confirm they will do 4160, 1500 HP and have equipment for VPI. Their words were "It's just up our alley." Link

Hope this helps!

Bugman1400

In my experience with large re-built MV induction motors, you're better off buying a new one. Yes, I know they are much more expensive but, I rarely have seen a re-built MV motor last nearly as long as a new one. They just don't hold up. Not sure why. Not sure if its a motor shop process issue or what. I've been to many motor shops to watch or participate in the process but, when the motor is placed into service they never seem to last as long as they should.

My 2 cents.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
In my experience with large re-built MV induction motors, you're better off buying a new one. Yes, I know they are much more expensive but, I rarely have seen a re-built MV motor last nearly as long as a new one. They just don't hold up. Not sure why. Not sure if its a motor shop process issue or what. I've been to many motor shops to watch or participate in the process but, when the motor is placed into service they never seem to last as long as they should.

My 2 cents.

I would argue that if the motor failure is limited to the windings, and the core is not damaged, a reputable motor repair shop or company can repair the motor much cheaper than it would cost to procure a new one. Especially if it is a large engineered motor for a specific application. There are standard techniques for burning out the old windings, verifying the integrity of the core material, and preparing the core to receive a new winding system. This at a much lower cost and shorter schedule than to purchase a new motor. A reputable company can provide an equal or improved insulation/winding system to that of the original motor in most cases. Again, this argument would apply to an engineered, purpose built large motor, such as for a large compressor, or in our case a wind tunnel drive. This may not be the case for lower horsepower motors that are readily available off the shelf, or routinely produced as a standard product.

Status
Not open for further replies.