Directional Boring for electrical conduits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a project that will use directional boring to install some conduits on the secondary side of a utility transformer. Basically the electrical conduits routed from the utility transformer, under a concrete courtyard, to the building main electrical room. I am not too familiar with this directional boring technique. Does anyone have a website or info on how this is done? What are the limitations (pro's and cons) to this technique?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Plenty of stuff on web. Just google "directional boring hdpe conduit video" or something similar.

Unless you a renting the rig, your boring contractor deals with the pros and cons. All you care about is the location of the conduit ends. :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I suppose I should enumerate one con.

You want your conduit pulled before a transformer vault is poured, if this be the case.

Preset pads can be dealt most of the time as long as there is enough clearance for the rig.

There's also boring that don't require a directional rig (and the space)... but where it comes out is nowhere near as accurate.

Shujinko

I'm the electrical designer drawing the routing of the conduit for for the design documents. I'm not the installer. Can the directional bore be steered in different directions once underground or is it a straight shot only. So if my conduit routing is not straight and has 45 degree angles in it can the directional bore make these angled turns underground?

Shujinko

I suppose I should enumerate one con.

You want your conduit pulled before a transformer vault is poured, if this be the case.

Preset pads can be dealt most of the time as long as there is enough clearance for the rig.

There's also boring that don't require a directional rig (and the space)... but where it comes out is nowhere near as accurate.

Luckily the transformer will be installed way after the conduit is in place.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm the electrical designer drawing the routing of the conduit for for the design documents. I'm not the installer. Can the directional bore be steered in different directions once underground or is it a straight shot only. So if my conduit routing is not straight and has 45 degree angles in it can the directional bore make these angled turns underground?
Directional rigs make turns. They have to, or else they'd be drilling/boring downhill the whole time. But think extra-extra-wide-sweep radius at best.

Shujinko

Directional rigs make turns. They have to, or else they'd be drilling/boring downhill the whole time. But think extra-extra-wide-sweep radius at best.

How about the thermal grout, how do you know when you need thermal grout for conductors going underground using a directional bore? In my case the directional bore isn't using a casing just pulling conduits back. Is there a standard or code that determines when you need thermal grout?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How about the thermal grout, how do you know when you need thermal grout for conductors going underground using a directional bore? In my case the directional bore isn't using a casing just pulling conduits back. Is there a standard or code that determines when you need thermal grout?
I am not aware of any necessity for thermal grout with electrical conduit installations. To my knowledge, thermal grout is only used in geothermal applications. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say I am correct without reservation. In fact, quite the opposite. Please pass along such knowledge here if you have the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.