Fence around substation with no live parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Now we need to define "substation". I would bet that what Mike has called a substation is nothing more than a pad mount transformer and metal enclosed switchgear.
One could say the fact that the transformer and switchgear are enclosed together makes it a substation by definition since we have "an enclosed assemblage of equipment..."

But it really does not matter since the fence must be grounded either way. The rest just determines if it must be bonded and if the grounding needs to address additional concerns.

It is rare to see a pad mount transformer with any type of fencing. The switchgear would normally have fencing if the public has access, but outside metal clad switchgear on industrial sites often do not have fencing.
Perhaps because it is restricted access anyway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One could say the fact that the transformer and switchgear are enclosed together makes it a substation by definition since we have "an enclosed assemblage of equipment..."

But it really does not matter since the fence must be grounded either way. The rest just determines if it must be bonded and if the grounding needs to address additional concerns.

While I understand your point that the fence is required to be grounded, but without an equipotential ground grid, it remains my opinion, that grounding the fence increases the hazard.

And for the ground grid to work with a grounded fence, it would have to extend beyond the fence so that if there is an event that results in ground potential rise, both the ground around the fence and the fence rise together.

Are you suggesting that we need an equipotential ground grid around a pad mount transformer? There are hundreds of them in my area that are accessible to the public and there is no type of ground grid around the transformer. At most you might find a few ground rods for the grounding electrode system for the transformer primary.

mivey

While I understand your point that the fence is required to be grounded, but without an equipotential ground grid, it remains my opinion, that grounding the fence increases the hazard.
I would agree that bonding could increase the hazard if not done correctly. Simple grounding alone does not.

However, a simple ground does not appear to be allowed for the case being discussed since it would appear we have a substation and the new rule, well, rules.

And for the ground grid to work with a grounded fence, it would have to extend beyond the fence so that if there is an event that results in ground potential rise, both the ground around the fence and the fence rise together.
But of course. Exactly what an NESC design does.

Are you suggesting that we need an equipotential ground grid around a pad mount transformer? There are hundreds of them in my area that are accessible to the public and there is no type of ground grid around the transformer. At most you might find a few ground rods for the grounding electrode system for the transformer primary.
I have made no such suggestion but am merely discussing NEC requirements. A padmount alone does not a substation make.

However, if one wanted to mitigate touch and step potential problems around a padmount or other such conductive equipment, that would certainly work. I can guarantee you there are risky locations, and not only in your area.

Needed to mitigate risk? Yes, or an equivalent, if mitigating that risk is a goal.

Needed per the rules? It doesn't appear to be required.

mshields

sterilizers serving OR's

sterilizers serving OR's

Do sterilizers (autoclaves) serving operating rooms need to be on the Essential Electrical System. I don't see that they are listed under 517.34 nor can I find any mention of them in NFPA 99. So I gather the answer is no. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks,

Mike

Haji

Banned
Do sterilizers (autoclaves) serving operating rooms need to be on the Essential Electrical System. I don't see that they are listed under 517.34 nor can I find any mention of them in NFPA 99. So I gather the answer is no. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks,

Mike
Which code (section) says the power supply from which branch circuit/feeder to the operating room (in which sterilizers (autoclaves) are present) is tapped may also be non-essential?

Status
Not open for further replies.