2011 vs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orzabal

Just a quick question about the difference between the 2011 code and the 2014, as far as testing goes? I'm in Michigan and I have the 2014 NEC. But Michigan hasn't adopted the 2014 NEC yet. All testing is still based on the 2011. Do I need to bite the bullet and buy the 2011, knowing that it's only good for another 2 months (2014 is suppose to be adopted early 2016)? Is the 2014 different enough to affect the outcome of the test?
Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
Just a quick question about the difference between the 2011 code and the 2014, as far as testing goes? I'm in Michigan and I have the 2014 NEC. But Michigan hasn't adopted the 2014 NEC yet. All testing is still based on the 2011. Do I need to bite the bullet and buy the 2011, knowing that it's only good for another 2 months (2014 is suppose to be adopted early 2016)? Is the 2014 different enough to affect the outcome of the test?

Which test will you be taking - that could make some difference as well.

My guess for a journeyman license test you could get a few problem questions that could have a different answer from one code to another, but probably will not have much impact on the bulk of the questions which most will involve determining conductor ampacity, raceway fill, load calculations, overcurrent protection, grounding/bonding, maybe some general questions on feeders, services, or branch circuits - mostly stuff that you could probably get the right answer even if using the 1996 NEC.

A contractor license - probably a lot of similar questions on NEC content, just more questions involved that may not be answered by NEC - that relate to contracting activity more so then NEC compared to a journeyman applicant.

If you are taking a test that gives you some residential only kind of license - AFCI related changes could be a killer if you don't know what the rules are for the code year that applies to the testing, as they have changed every year since they were first introduced.

Carultch

Changes are usually highlighted in each edition. You can probably study NEC2014 for most of it, and do a Google search on sections that are changed to find out what they used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.