User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: CSST bonding to sub panel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    It says connect to the grounding electrode system.
    It would be thru the equipment grounding conductor of the panel back to the main panel. It is all connected together
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can splice the bond wire then what is the difference if I spliced it back to the panel. I know you can connect the INTERSYSTEM BONDING back to the panel..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    It would be thru the equipment grounding conductor of the panel back to the main panel. It is all connected together
    Are they the same as defined by the NEC?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they the same as defined by the NEC?
    I don't understand your question. The equipment grounding conductor is not the same as a bonding jumper-the conductor from the csst. But I don't see anywhere where I cannot splice the bonding jumper, connect it to the equipment grounding conductor which in turn is connected to the grounding electrode system.

In fact, 250 121 exception specifically allows the equipment grounding conductor to be used as a grounding electrode conductor. That is not exactly what we have here but it leads some credence to the install, IMO. I may be wrong about this especially if the gas code won't allow the splice- I don't believe there is anything in there that says you cannot splice the bonding conductor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand your question. The equipment grounding conductor is not the same as a bonding jumper-the conductor from the csst. But I don't see anywhere where I cannot splice the bonding jumper, connect it to the equipment grounding conductor which in turn is connected to the grounding electrode system.

In fact, 250 121 exception specifically allows the equipment grounding conductor to be used as a grounding electrode conductor. That is not exactly what we have here but it leads some credence to the install, IMO. I may be wrong about this especially if the gas code won't allow the splice- I don't believe there is anything in there that says you cannot splice the bonding conductor
    The 2018 International Fuel Gas Code® (IFGC®) says it connects to the grounding electrode system.

"The permanent bonding of corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) piping system directly to the grounding electrode system of the structure in which the CSST is installed will lower the voltage build-up on the CSST caused by unintentional energizing from outside sources such as power surges and lightning strikes."
    https://cdn-web.iccsafe.org/wp-conte...Notes_CSST.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anywhere in the gas code that states the connection must be continuous? I don't think so so if the equipment grounding conductor to the sub panel is a #6 then the csst bonding should be allowed to connect to that panel.
    This is exactly what my post was implying

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2018 International Fuel Gas Code® (IFGC®) says it connects to the grounding electrode system.

"The permanent bonding of corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) piping system directly to the grounding electrode system of the structure in which the CSST is installed will lower the voltage build-up on the CSST caused by unintentional energizing from outside sources such as power surges and lightning strikes."
    https://cdn-web.iccsafe.org/wp-conte...Notes_CSST.pdf

It will be connected to the grounding electrode system. That is what I am trying to tell you

Are you saying that I must connect to the ground rod or other electrode and cannot connect it to the main panel which is connected to the ground rod or other electrodes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kec View Post
    IMO, if the equipment grounding conductor of the panel is properly sized for the csst bonding then I would think you would be compliant however, I am sure there are others who feel differently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kec View Post
    You cannot use the equipment grounding conductor of the sub panel.

Here are a couple of Web Links for you to read.
    https://www.ecmweb.com/bonding-amp-g...el-tubing-csst

https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=169232

In my State the yellow jacket CSST can no longer be used for new installs. The black jacket CSST is now required (I believe 2018). Ground bonding is still required.

Yellow CSST is not grand fathered in. For a used house to be sold the existing yellow jacket CSST, (if not already bonded to the grounding electrode system), must be bonded to the grounding electrode system by a licensed electrician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be connected to the grounding electrode system. That is what I am trying to tell you

Are you saying that I must connect to the ground rod or other electrode and cannot connect it to the main panel which is connected to the ground rod or other electrodes.
    I am saying the Gas Code says it must connect to the grounding electrode system of the electrical service. Not to the equipment grounding conductor of a sub panel.