Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: CSST bonding to sub panel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dennis Alwon;1994675]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    NEC 250.104 (B) (1) should be removed from the code.

The gas pipe is not an electrode. There is a dielectric fitting at the meter that separates the interior piping from the exterior and art. 250 tells us we cannot use gas pipe as an electrode

Was going to mention some of what you did earlier, then got sidetracked.

Underground metallic gas piping also normally has corrosion resistance coatings, and not galvanized or other conductive coatings either. Zinc supposedly don't play well with natural gas and is why you see black pipe and not galvanized pipe used for gas. Copper don't play well with NG either but is sometimes use for LP gas.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Some of us have hard enough time keeping up with amendments, AHJ interpretations, etc. as related to NEC, why do we want to keep up with same things as it relates to fuel gas codes, let the HVAC guys earn some of their pay. They certainly aren't afraid of connecting the electric supply to a furnace or AC (and do it wrong)
    Absolutley the truth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    Yeah i pretty much came to the same conclusion Kwired

all i found was>>>

250.104 (B) Other Metal Piping

choices 1 thru 5 , with ref to Table 250.122

I just can't see a piece of #12 being used, pretty sure most any 'bond cu' , or that which would fly around solo would be #8 ,fairly prevalent thru the code

~RJ~
    I’ve bonded the gas line at a fireplace off of the 14awg ground that is for the fan. That is all that was likely to energize. Passed time and time again. But all jurisdictions have their own interpretation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But all jurisdictions have their own interpretation

Today's jem.....a vermont bond ,legal as long as it's touching...>>>>

~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dennis Alwon;1994675]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    NEC 250.104 (B) (1) should be removed from the code.

The gas pipe is not an electrode. There is a dielectric fitting at the meter that separates the interior piping from the exterior and art. 250 tells us we cannot use gas pipe as an electrode
    Dennis,

Thanks for setting me straight on the gas meter dielectric fitting/s. I checked my meter after reading your post. Not only does my meter have the fitting on the customer side of the meter it also has one on the supply side of the meter. The short supply side metallic riser gas pipe is insulated from the meter by a dielectric fitting. (I verified checking for continuity with a meter. The gas meter is isolated at both ends.) I learned something new today.

As for the NEC not allowing the gas pipe to be used as an electrode I already knew that. I just always thought the reasoning was because it is a gas line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jamesco;1994739]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

Dennis,

Thanks for setting me straight on the gas meter dielectric fitting/s. I checked my meter after reading your post. Not only does my meter have the fitting on the customer side of the meter it also has one on the supply side of the meter. The short supply side metallic riser gas pipe is insulated from the meter by a dielectric fitting. (I verified checking for continuity with a meter. The gas meter is isolated at both ends.) I learned something new today.

As for the NEC not allowing the gas pipe to be used as an electrode I already knew that. I just always thought the reasoning was because it is a gas line.

I think that is a major reason, they don't want to make it become an electrode as much as possible in case of the worst possibility.

Direct lightning strik to a building, it very likely still carries at least some of the current.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jamesco;1994739]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

Dennis,

Hey you showed me the info on Csst that would not allow the bonding thru the sub panel....--
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky