cord and plug connected equipment in cable tray/basket

Status
Not open for further replies.

automaker

my question is...... permanantly installed equipment in a manufacturing setting, using wire basket tray can you permanantly install install equipment basically connecting cords together with cord caps until you reach the final destination? even if it is type tc cable is this permitted?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I say go for it. What's the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
my question is...... permanantly installed equipment in a manufacturing setting, using wire basket tray can you permanantly install install equipment basically connecting cords together with cord caps until you reach the final destination? even if it is type tc cable is this permitted?

I am not sure what it is you are asking. I am pretty sure you cannot make extension cords up out of type TC cable though. Do you have a picture you can post so we know exactly what it is you are actually asking?

automaker

basically electric tools used in assembly process, every tool comes with a 6 ft power cord, running tray cable to the tool putting a cord cap on it and ty wrapping inside the tray, as opposed to running the tray cable securely mounting a receptacle and plugging the tool in...does that explain it a little better?

iwire

Staff member
basically electric tools used in assembly process, every tool comes with a 6 ft power cord, running tray cable to the tool putting a cord cap on it and ty wrapping inside the tray, as opposed to running the tray cable securely mounting a receptacle and plugging the tool in...does that explain it a little better?

Yes it does.

In my opinion that will be a listing violation of the cord caps and use of tray cable.

Tray cable is not fine stranded so it is not designed be flexed constantly and the cord caps are not designed for anything but fine strand flexible cord.

Why not mount a box to the side of the tray cable with a receptacle on it on make it pendent drop from that box with flexible cord?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes it does.

In my opinion that will be a listing violation of the cord caps and use of tray cable.

Tray cable is not fine stranded so it is not designed be flexed constantly and the cord caps are not designed for anything but fine strand flexible cord.

Why not mount a box to the side of the tray cable with a receptacle on it on make it pendent drop from that box with flexible cord?

can TC be run into a box and terminated to a receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.