Another Hazardous Location Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bear with me folks. I struggle with Art 500 stuff.
502.10 indicates Fittings must be provided with threaded hubs and be dusttight. It further states that where taps joints or terminal connections are made, teh fitting must be identified for Class II locations.
Does this mean I can use a standard threaded condulet with gasketed cover so long as I have no terminations ?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You are citing the Division 1 rules. [Section 501.10(A)(3)] (Group E is automatically Division 1) Division 2 rules are in Section 501.10(B)(4).

The "magic" word in Section 501.10(A)(3) is identified; it doesn't necessarily mean listed. ​In this case, the object is to exclude entry of dust. A standard threaded condulet with gasketed cover is suitable for the application as described. [Section 500.8(A)(3)]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
O.K. I see my error....
It's a Group G location so it appears the boxes and fittings for RMC don't even need to be gasketed except for the specific areas listed. Did I get that right ?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
The assembly installation you described in the OP is fine.

Basically, Class II is interested in excluding dust and limiting external surface temperatures. I suspect (don't know) the reason NEMA is eliminating Type 9 (dust-ignitionproof) is dusttight is sufficient. Internal ignitions don't need to be contained since they shouldn't occur.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
slowly I learn to read "gasketed wireway"....
your patience is appreciated as always.
Our State office has a plans review section but no one there to review electrical.... so it's just us

MechEdetour

You are citing the Division 1 rules. [Section 501.10(A)(3)] (Group E is automatically Division 1) Division 2 rules are in Section 501.10(B)(4).

The "magic" word in Section 501.10(A)(3) is identified; it doesn't necessarily mean listed. ​In this case, the object is to exclude entry of dust. A standard threaded condulet with gasketed cover is suitable for the application as described. [Section 500.8(A)(3)]

I read this like 15 times to see if I am missing something, but don't you mean 502.10(A)(3) and 502.10(B)(4)? Article 501 is for Class I locations. . . I believe that's why OP originally replied with "Class II, Div 1."

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I read this like 15 times to see if I am missing something, but don't you mean 502.10(A)(3) and 502.10(B)(4)? Article 501 is for Class I locations. . . I believe that's why OP originally replied with "Class II, Div 1."
Yes. :ashamed1: Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.