13,200v rated lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shumake

Me again, not sure if this is the right place to post but has anyone dealt with terminating 13,200v lines in a pad Xfmer? What type lugs are used?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
None

And you can't do it without training.
Why do you say "none" for the lugs question?

As I recall most of the Burndy lugs are rated for use to 35kV.

As far as training for the installation of the stress cones, that is required in some areas, and often by the contract documents. However, an electrician that can read and follow directions should have not issues installing a 15kV stress cone.

iwire

Staff member
Why do you say "none" for the lugs question?

As I recall most of the Burndy lugs are rated for use to 35kV.

As far as training for the installation of the stress cones, that is required in some areas, and often by the contract documents. However, an electrician that can read and follow directions should have not issues installing a 15kV stress cone.

I have never seen a pad mount that did not use plug in elbows for the HV. Of course I have not seen it all.

If the OP wants to 'go for it' maybe they can, we will not and that sounds like a very bad idea.

Shumake

Thank you, everyone. I'm here to to discuss and continue education with everyone else and appreciate your input! We are not here to butcher or endanger anyone but to follow proper protocol, which in this case may be subbing these connections out to someone qualified and experienced in medium voltage.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you, everyone. I'm here to to discuss and continue education with everyone else and appreciate your input! We are not here to butcher or endanger anyone but to follow proper protocol, which in this case may be subbing these connections out to someone qualified and experienced in medium voltage.
Best idea if you have no experience with this.

mivey

However, an electrician that can read and follow directions should have not issues installing a 15kV stress cone.
I agree. It is not rocket science but it is not as forgiving as a run of the mill termination so should be approached with due caution.

It also requires special tools that would be silly to buy for one job.

topgone

Knowing this is a forum, it would be wise for you to take anybody's recommendation with a grain of salt. Don't believe everything fed to you. Verify from qualified people you know if things said here are the right ones.

I should share with you my personal experience where a friend asked me for the order no. of a 3M cold shrink termination kit for a 24kV install which I gladly gave. For whatever the reasons, he bought a 3M kit with similar order no. but with a different last digit/s. To make the story short, it was a failed install, The terminations blew like his crew were in the midst of a gunfight! As much as we wanted to help out, something at the back of our minds tells us to warn others about how simple things can go awry, even with a single digit difference.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Knowing this is a forum, it would be wise for you to take anybody's recommendation with a grain of salt. Don't believe everything fed to you. Verify from qualified people you know if things said here are the right ones.

I should share with you my personal experience where a friend asked me for the order no. of a 3M cold shrink termination kit for a 24kV install which I gladly gave. For whatever the reasons, he bought a 3M kit with similar order no. but with a different last digit/s. To make the story short, it was a failed install, The terminations blew like his crew were in the midst of a gunfight! As much as we wanted to help out, something at the back of our minds tells us to warn others about how simple things can go awry, even with a single digit difference.

You mean no Acceptance Tests were performed on the cables before they were energized? Bad Idea!:jawdrop:
I find it interesting that a Hipot Test was not performed according to the cable manufacturer's recommendations or at least NETA specs. Since the HP test set is designed to trip out under low power faults it would assure that no equipment damage would occur due to material mis-application or faulty workmanship after the system is energized.

templdl

I have never seen a pad mount that did not use plug in elbows for the HV. Of course I have not seen it all.

If the OP wants to 'go for it' maybe they can, we will not and that sounds like a very bad idea.

My thoughts exactly. Load break elbows probably for his application for currents of up to 200a. The load break elbow allow the transformer to be disconnected while under load by using a hook stick to remove the elbow.
It would be interesting if the OP actually can describe what the HV terminations looks like on the transformer as provisions for load break elbows don't allow for a bolted connection to be made as the elbow plugs on to it.
There are also dead break elbows used for when higher currents are require up to 600a. I sold plenty of padmounts most radial feed. My concern is that this is very dangerous stuff and should be left to those who have experience. It is excellent that the question was asked though.
Then there is a barrier that separates the HV section from the LV section. It is the LV section and that has the spade type connection sticking out with NEMA hole drilling patterns to bolt the cable terminals to.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree. It is not rocket science but it is not as forgiving as a run of the mill termination so should be approached with due caution.

I don't recall using any special tools for 5 and 15kV termination kits where the cables have connection lugs. I haven't done an elbow connection in a long time, but I do recall a special tool to remove the semi-conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Most of the industrial transformers around here don't use the elbow connections, but they are not really pad mounts....that being said, I think it is even easier to install an elbow termination than a termination for a lug type connection on medium voltage systems.

big john

Agreed. I would not recommend doing this without training and the proper cable strippers. The bad thing about MV terms is that if done wrong they won't fai immediately but rather 12 months down the road.

And you can order live-front padmounts that have insulators, but I agree they aren't as common on new installs.

fmtjfw

One thing about the HV terminations is that they can't have sharp corners. We had a 7.2/12KV pad mount that had chunks of bus bar used to connect looped through primary to a second transformer. The duffus that did this didn't file down the sharp edges off the "spur" where one of the bars was not cut through but twisted apart. The corona off that spur had eroded the insulating board between that termination and the next phase termination.

mivey

I don't recall using any special tools for 5 and 15kV termination kits where the cables have connection lugs.
I suppose you could hack away at it with a pocket knife but I wouldn't recommend it. :D

I haven't done an elbow connection in a long time, but I do recall a special tool to remove the semi-conductor.
Yes, that is one tool. Of course the semi-con also has to be removed in a similar manner when installing a lug termination.

mivey

Agreed. I would not recommend doing this without training and the proper cable strippers. The bad thing about MV terms is that if done wrong they won't fail immediately but rather 12 months down the road.
The strippers and semi-con tool make for a clean job of it. Training is preferred of course but the instructions today are detailed enough that someone with proficiency in other cable terminating skills should be able to make a good termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.