Hot Tub Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

A friend of mine purchased a hot tub for his house and asked if I could assist in the electrical installation. To be honest my background is not in resiential but in industrial and controls.

I am going to be running 6/3 NM Cable from his main panel in an unfinished basement to an outside 50A Spa Panel. To bring the NM cable outside to the Spa Panel I am going to run it in Schedule 80 PVC roughly 2 feet before it leaves the house to the Spa Panel, and from the Spa Panel to the hot tub. My question is what is the insulation type on the conductors for the NM cable so I can size the PVC accordingly to Chapter 9 Tables 4 and 5?

Thanks

jstjohnz

Hey guys,

A friend of mine purchased a hot tub for his house and asked if I could assist in the electrical installation. To be honest my background is not in resiential but in industrial and controls.

I am going to be running 6/3 NM Cable from his main panel in an unfinished basement to an outside 50A Spa Panel. To bring the NM cable outside to the Spa Panel I am going to run it in Schedule 80 PVC roughly 2 feet before it leaves the house to the Spa Panel, and from the Spa Panel to the hot tub. My question is what is the insulation type on the conductors for the NM cable so I can size the PVC accordingly to Chapter 9 Tables 4 and 5?

Thanks

You can't run NM in PVC in a wet location.

The NM was going to be in the PVC for the roughly 2-3 feet before it made it to the Spa Panel. From the Spa Panel to the hot tub I am going to use THWN.

*I re-read my original post and realized I did not specify that and wrote that I will be using NM for all terminations. Sorry about the confusion!

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
make sure to read the nec section on pools & spas. what tub make/model is it? you dont need sched-80 for the burial, but need 80 for the risers.

is the spa panel being mounted to the house?

how is the tub being positioned (on a deck, slab, earth)? will the disconnect means be easily seen from the water?

when i did my own spa installation (7x7 manufactured standalone UL listed) it was put into a concrete vault with approx 24" below grade. my local AHJ did not consider this to be an in-ground installation, but i still did a bonding loop (spiral with ~12" spacing) under the concrete and added several earth rods, everything bonded back to spa egc, which is tied to power egc.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you for the input. I will add a junction box on the inside wall of the house and leave that box with the THWN to the Spa Panel and hot tub.
You could always use 6/3 UF. It's a few $$ more but you won't have to install a JB to transfer over to THWN

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thank you for the input. I will add a junction box on the inside wall of the house and leave that box with the THWN to the Spa Panel and hot tub.

Huh... You need a disconnect outside at least 5' from the tub and within sight. Bring the NM into the tub disconnect and then run the thwn in the pvc to the tub

Status
Not open for further replies.