In use cvr required as per home inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

On my way to replace kitchen counter and bath receptacles to gfci which were on an inspection report for the sale of a house.
Although when the house was built the gfci's weren't required I feel good installing and not thinking or saying "grandfather"..

Now. The home inspector also sighted "covers" on the exterior receptacles of the house. The receptacle boxes are surface mount fs with gfci receptacle and hinged fs covers.

Would in use covers need to be installed or does the existing grandfather theory work ?

I don't have much of a problem installing the in use except that I think the in use would look ridiculous. I really don't like the seal from the in use to the fs box. And they are not the cheapest item x 7.

??? Thoughts to install or not install in use cvrs.

Thank you

norcal

Home inspectors cannot require squat, you replace a device where GFCI's are required or replace a WP cover where bubble covers are also required, then you need to comply with latest code requirements, but if the seller does not want pay for items a HI thinks they should have upgraded, then that is a matter between buyer & seller.

ritelec

Home inspectors cannot require squat, you replace a device where GFCI's are required or replace a WP cover where bubble covers are also required, then you need to comply with latest code requirements, but if the seller does not want pay for items a HI thinks they should have upgraded, then that is a matter between buyer & seller.

Sorry. I'm not understanding. Then I need to comply??

I install a gfci at a kitchen counter receptacle and since I did that now I have to add afci protection to that circuit too?? You lost me there.

ritelec

Also check local laws regarding the selling of a home. certain items may be required by law when selling a home. (CO detector comes to mind)

Yes. I think you are correct. But battery co detectors work I believe

Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
On my way to replace kitchen counter and bath receptacles to gfci which were on an inspection report for the sale of a house.
Although when the house was built the gfci's weren't required I feel good installing and not thinking or saying "grandfather"..

Now. The home inspector also sighted "covers" on the exterior receptacles of the house. The receptacle boxes are surface mount fs with gfci receptacle and hinged fs covers.

Would in use covers need to be installed or does the existing grandfather theory work ?

I don't have much of a problem installing the in use except that I think the in use would look ridiculous. I really don't like the seal from the in use to the fs box. And they are not the cheapest item x 7.

??? Thoughts to install or not install in use cvrs.

Thank you

Most all of the Home inspection reports I've worked off had a list of what the homeowner and buyer agreed to fix. Anything else was ignored.
So if they agreed to install them, I installed them. Didn't matter what I thought.

480sparky

I install a gfci at a kitchen counter receptacle and since I did that now I have to add afci protection to that circuit too?? You lost me there.

In the vast majority of home sales, a home inspector report is not a legally binding part of the sale. What a home inspector finds is not required to be addressed.

It's the same as if you were buying a used car, and you took it to your mechanic. Your mechanic cannot legally require the seller to fix one problem on the vehicle.

It is simply a bargaining chip for the buyer. Only if the seller agrees to fix the items will it become legally required. Home inspectors do not have any force of law behind their findings.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

As mjf said, check local/state laws regarding the bringing of items up to Code. AHJ's recognize the grandfathered Code issues... but some issues they want brought up to Code... and they've figured the best time to squeeze it in and to not appear as reneging on grandfathering is when a property is sold.

Anything beyond what is legally required to be brought up to Code is a matter between you and your customer and what the AHJ will require once you start changing stuff at the customer's bequest.

growler

They make a low profile version of the in-use cover that doesn't stick out that far when not in use. Not the same as a bubble cover but still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.