Wire Nuts in Fire Alarm Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinjay9

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of the code section which allows or does not allow wire nuts on fire alarm wiring, and also some back ground or theory on the topic. When, where and why would it be ok and not ok.

Thanks in Advance!!

iwire

Staff member
The NEC does not prohibit the use of wirenuts for fire alarm circuits. I use them often.

On the other hand the mini-state of RI has an amendment requiring terminal strips where they allow splices. In general RI prohibits spicing fire alarm wires unless you install a terminal cabinet painted red with a lockable door.

peter d

On the other hand the mini-state of RI has an amendment requiring terminal strips where they allow splices. In general RI prohibits spicing fire alarm wires unless you install a terminal cabinet painted red with a lockable door.

Dumbest rule ever. You don't suppose purposely increasing the time and cost of labor had anything to do with that rule, do you? Nah, not possible. :roll:

And in the real world, wire nuts get used on fire alarms in RI all the time. I may have even done it a few times myself in a pinch. ;)

peter d

Not sure, its a toss up between that rule, the compression fitting rule or the special UL listed Rhode Island Fire alarm MC

True, I was going to mention that but figured why heap more shame upon RI? You might as well add the other rules though - the special color code, no low energy cable, steel fittings only for EMT, etc etc.

iwire

Staff member
Seriously.

The only acceptable fittings for RI fire alarm work are steel compression fittings.

The only MC we can use is specifically tagged for RI fire alarm use and must comply with the RI fire alarm color code.

(Add) 9.6.9.8

The color code for all newly installed fire alarm system conductors shall be as follows:

(1) INITIATING DEVICE CIRCUIT shall be red and black. Red shall be positive and black shall be negative [IDC/SLC].

(2) NOTIFICATION APPLIANCE CIRCUIT shall be blue and white. Blue shall be positive and white shall be negative. When speakers, bells, chimes or other audible/visual devices are used in lieu of horns, this color code shall be followed [NAC].

(3) STROBE CIRCUIT, if a separate feed is required, shall be blue and white. Blue shall be positive and white shall be negative.

(4) SMOKE DETECTOR CIRCUITS, if a separate power feed is required, shall be brown and violet. Violet shall be positive and brown shall be negative.

(5) “LOCAL” SMOKE DETECTOR CIRCUITS, if an interconnect wire between sounder bases is required, shall be violet.

(6) AUXILIARY REMOTE POWER SUPPLY CIRCUITS shall be brown and violet.
Violet shall be positive and brown shall be negative.

(7) ELECTRO-MAGNETIC DOOR HOLDBACK CIRCUITS shall be gray and gray if powered by 24 vDC or black and white if powered by 120 vAC.

(8) MUNICIPAL MASTER BOX TRIPPING CIRCUITS shall be orange and orange.
Conductors for this circuit shall be installed in a separate raceway. (9) ELEVATOR CAPTURE CIRCUITS shall be brown and yellow.

(10) HVAC SHUTDOWN CIRCUITS and AUDIO/VISUAL SYSTEMS SHUTDOWN CIRCUITS shall be orange and yellow.

(11) REMOTE ANNUNCIATOR CIRCUITS shall be violet and numbered at each end or as required by the control unit manufacturer.

(12) MUNICIPAL FIRE ALARM LOOP from the master box to the municipal loop shall be black and white.

GrayHair

Central Station Fire Alarm company I worked for only allowed soldered western union splices. PITA to do on multi-conductor cable but there were NO problems from them.

jumper

Do you know where that is stated/have a link? I see setscrew there all the time

Found this:

All fire alarm system wiring within a building and between buildings in multiple building
clusters shall be installed in metal raceway with steel couplings and box connectors or
type MC cable rated as FPLP and 2-hour fire rated for penetrations by UL. Cast "LB" or
"T" type connectors shall be permitted. An equipment-bonding conductor shall be
provided in all flexible metallic raceways.

http://www.fsc.ri.gov/documents/RhodeIslandFireSafetyCode.pdf

kenman215

True, I was going to mention that but figured why heap more shame upon RI? You might as well add the other rules though - the special color code, no low energy cable, steel fittings only for EMT, etc etc.

I just finished up an edition on a school where the job spec called for red jacket (fire alarm mc) in all concealed ceilings. If I never have to work with that stuff again it will be too soon.

peter d

I just finished up an edition on a school where the job spec called for red jacket (fire alarm mc) in all concealed ceilings. If I never have to work with that stuff again it will be too soon.

It's a way of life for us here, but there really is no need for it when the vast majority of the country allows low energy cable. It's just one of those rules that only makes work for a particular group of electricians (think of the Chicago EMT code) and adds more cost to the job.

kwired

Electron manager
JMO, but a typical fire alarm system has "supervised" external circuits for good reason. So if a poorly done connection fails, or if something just plain gets physically damaged, it should give you a trouble alarm, and focus on connection methods should get some relaxation. Still makes good sense to connect to four terminals on sensing devices so that the circuit depends on the device to complete the circuit - this will help ensure the device is part of what is being supervised.

peter d

JMO, but a typical fire alarm system has "supervised" external circuits for good reason. So if a poorly done connection fails, or if something just plain gets physically damaged, it should give you a trouble alarm, and focus on connection methods should get some relaxation. Still makes good sense to connect to four terminals on sensing devices so that the circuit depends on the device to complete the circuit - this will help ensure the device is part of what is being supervised.

I agree completely. Keep in mind the RI fire alarm rules are just "make work" rules for certain organized labor groups, nothing more. They are not based on common sense, practicality, or anything resembling electrical theory.

iwire

Staff member
JMO, but a typical fire alarm system has "supervised" external circuits for good reason.

Truthfully I agree with you but I do not agree with Peter that they are make work rules.

I think that if we traced them back we would find they go back to folks thinking they are adding to safety without any real thought or study going into it.

As far as having to use fire alarm MC on a job that is otherwise all metal raceways or cables makes sense to me. Low energy cable is cheap crap prone to ground faults .... Using it is 'make future work' planning.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing wrong with exceeding the standards for the purpose of eliminating potential failures - that is design issues not code issues. The fact the circuits are supervised still makes the system reliable and it will tell you when there is problems, by future proofing it you just bought some increased reliability from a service and maintenance point of view.

kenman215

Truthfully I agree with you but I do not agree with Peter that they are make work rules.

I think that if we traced them back we would find they go back to folks thinking they are adding to safety without any real thought or study going into it.

As far as having to use fire alarm MC on a job that is otherwise all metal raceways or cables makes sense to me. Low energy cable is cheap crap prone to ground faults .... Using it is 'make future work' planning.

Agree with your point, but job spec aside, the issue I have with red jacket is its bending radius and how tight the spiral is wound around the conductors. A quick moving insulator could easily push down or up on a line running laterally between studs and break the armor, greatly increasing the likelihood of short. Even being delicate with pulling the cable, there were multiple jumpers where armor broke during the install process that had to be rerun. I would have rather piped the whole job...

iwire

Staff member
, the issue I have with red jacket is its bending radius and how tight the spiral is wound around the conductors. A quick moving insulator could easily push down or up on a line running laterally between studs and break the armor, greatly increasing the likelihood of short. .

I have no idea what you mean and there is no way in heck I will be convinced MC is more likely to be damaged by other trades than low energy cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.