builder bailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Since you are paid to date, I would not worry about doing the trim unless asked to do so or you signed a contract to do so. You might want to talk to the GC that hired you and ask them if he thinks you would get paid from the HO.
Then you could talk with the HO (and new GC) to see if they want you to do the trim.
If they want you to finish then you could make a contract with them. Maybe get a draw to start and balance when completed. It probably would be better for them to hire you since someone else might not know how you do your rough. They might spend more time "wondering" than working!

This is all IF you are interested in doing the trim!

I agree with Bill here. But would add that the additional benefit to doing the trim is you are able to "catch" anything that may have slipped by you during rough, without having to enter in to a subsequent fight. Say you missed a receptacle on a 2 foot wall section, for example. I am thinking as much about your reputation as the legal ramifications in this case. Either way Mopwr Steve and KWired's advice about recording the past is very important and valid.

Otherwise, there are so many variables that I think you have to play it by ear and trust your own instinct. It seems clear form your statements and follow ups here that your have fulfilled your original obligations and you have been made whole, so you just need to decide as you do every time you enter in to an agreement, what you are comfortable with.

mwm1752

Same here, jobs still go unpermitted at times. Is harder to get away in cities/counties that have electrical AHJ as they are usually somehow connected to the building AHJ and if one is involved the others are as well.

Go out in the middle of "God's country", you may need permission to build something, but is more of a zoning/conditions of use permit and not so much a building and construction codes permit. And of course also lets local county clerk/assessor know there is improvements so they can increase property value for property tax purposes. Once you are permitted to build you are on your own and even though the State electrical AHJ still has jurisdiction, if they never know you built something they are never coming to look at it. Right or wrong it happens.

I completely understand the reality of some electrical practices. Usually it is within a minor service type work not a new residence. A contractor that has a owner request not to permit is doing questionable practices in the first place. Your license should be worth more than possibly getting caught & fined or even revoked. From the answer an Ohio participant has submitted I would reason that Ohio does not require inspections on the state level as per the NEC.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
From my understanding, a mechanics lien would only hurt someones credit and not allow them to sell the house without settling the lien. The house may not be sold while I am alive

. I am paid upto date.

He will not be able to refinance or get a mortgage with the lien on it (hopefully). If it's a builder's loan with draws of money the bank holds, that may stop.

In Georgia a deadbeat can very cheaply bond around a lien, house can be sold

tkb

I'll bet the owner thinks that the GC has paid the electrician and will be looking for you to finish the job.

growler

The builder who I work for, and the customer signed an agreement to part ways. Now the customer is planning on being his own general contractor.

I'll bet the owner thinks that the GC has paid the electrician and will be looking for you to finish the job.

If the owner was smart, he would have been requiring lien waivers from the GC

To make sure this job is cleared they would need lien waivers from all the sub contractors to make sure they were paid. But they may have gotten all that if they signed an agreement parting ways.

If I were doing this job within the first few minutes of hearing about the owner and GC parting ways I would be on the phone with both the GC and the owner and find out what's going own.

My guess ( and that's all it is, not enough information ) is that the owner figures he/she can do the job cheaper by taking it over and finishing it themselves. This doesn't normally work out to well so I really wouldn't want any part of it. The part I really have trouble with is the fact that they don't wish to sign or pay for change orders.

I have been on the other end of this situation and have had to charge the heck out of the owner to assume the liability of takng over a job like this, there were permits and a rough inspection and still there were more mistakes make than you can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.