Enclosure Wiring - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

megavolt818

Hello everyone.

I have a bit of a strange question to ask regarding an enclosure that we are looking to possibly build. I have attached a sketch of the basic concept. We have two 20 amp 3-phase breakers that each have their own L15-20 connector on them. However, we have an enclosure that will require about 35 amps of 3-phase. Can we plug the two L15-20 connectors into the same enclosure, tie the wires together inside the enclosure and run it from the (2) 20 amp breakers? Unfortunately we are not able to replace the breakers or the wire to do a single wire feed to the enclosure.

Is this possible to do or a huge no-no? This design has come across my desk and I am not sure how to handle it. I can see both side to it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Enclosure Wiring.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
i think you would be violating both the rule about not putting conductors smaller than 1/0 in parallel and the rule about not putting CBs in parallel unless they are listed for it (and as far as I know no common ones are listed that way).

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
i think you would be violating both the rule about not putting conductors smaller than 1/0 in parallel and the rule about not putting CBs in parallel unless they are listed for it (and as far as I know no common ones are listed that way).

The way I see the wiring diagram, barring the small conductor in parallel rule, is that if one breaker trips, the entire load, including the fault will be on the remaining breaker.

That's not allowed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Here's the pertinent section...
240.8 Fuses or Circuit Breakers in Parallel. Fuses and
circuit breakers shall be permitted to be connected in parallel
where they are factory assembled in parallel and listed
as a unit. Individual fuses, circuit breakers, or combinations
thereof shall not otherwise be connected in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.