Looking for help with CADWELD components

Status
Not open for further replies.

masonc

We're required to use CADWELD for transformer grounding on our next project. I am specing out the components for the job. We will use 2/0 bare copper cable, and weld to 5/8 rods.
I want to use the reusable system (as opposed to one-shot) and I am was hoping an experienced installer could assist with the components and tools required.
The parts I have identified so far include:

GRC162G Cable to ground rod
GTC162G Cable thru ground rod
then we will use 2/0 compression lug to attach to transformer.

I have an issue identifying all the components needed to make these connections. Do they come with everything, or do I need to order the weld material separately
-> 200 or 200PLUSF20, Sold Separately
Thanks if you have time to assist.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You will need the mold, the mold clamp and the weld material. If you don't have the electronic ignition, you will need the spark lighter tool

It sounds like you are making connections to multiple ground rods, so you are looking at the "thru" mold and looking at the "to rod" for the last one in the series. I would just use the "thru" mold for everything and let a short tail stick out of the last one, in place of buying a second mold.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
clean mold after each use, heat ground rods/any metal before welding to remove any moisture

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Safer than the manual ignition types. I know that cad weld has the electronic ignition also but I like the self contained weld metal pods and the new ignition system is pretty slick. I have the older version.

View attachment 13801
doesn't look a lot different than the Cadweld electronic ignition shots....but electronic ignition just takes all of the fun out of the job:happyno:, especially if you have a wet mold or wire.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Is it instances like this that spread the ideology that ground wires are larger than they need to be or am I missing something?
Doesn't 250.66(A) state the grounding electrode conductor to a rod shall not be required to be larger than #6 copper?

iwire

Staff member
Is it instances like this that spread the ideology that ground wires are larger than they need to be or am I missing something?
Doesn't 250.66(A) state the grounding electrode conductor to a rod shall not be required to be larger than #6 copper?

Power company specs in my area require 4/0 bare copper to four 10' x 3/4" ground rods around the four corners of pad mounts.

I think the 4/0 has as much to do with protection from physical damage than current carrying ability but whatever it is above and beyond the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.