2014 NEC Kitchen GFCI / AFCI rule confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkycoog

I'm not very proud to say that I'm still confused on 210.8 and in particular kitchen requirements with the 2014 code. With the 2011 code, it was straight forward- anything in the kitchen whether it was within 6 feet of sink or across the kitchen was on the GFCI with the exception of hidden plugs behind the refrigerator and disposal, etc.

In the 2014 code, I see that the kitchen outlets are required to be under AFCI protection AND GFCI protection. What does this mean exactly? It can't be on both so does it mean that all outlets within 6 feet of the sink in the kitchen are on GFCI but after 6 feet they are no longer supposed to be on GFCI but rather AFCI protection? That and everything within 6 feet of the sink is supposed to be on GFCI including dishwasher and refrigerator and other non coutertop outlets. Is that the change? How would you wire the kitchen if half of the 2 appliance circuits are going to be mixed AFCI and GFCI?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
AFCI in the panel and GFCI in the kitchen.

AFCI and GFCI will work fine together.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 2011 has no 6' requirement for GFCI protection and proximity to the kitchen sink.

JFletcher

I'm not very proud to say that I'm still confused on 210.8 and in particular kitchen requirements with the 2014 code. With the 2011 code, it was straight forward- anything in the kitchen whether it was within 6 feet of sink or across the kitchen was on the GFCI with the exception of hidden plugs behind the refrigerator and disposal, etc.

In the 2014 code, I see that the kitchen outlets are required to be under AFCI protection AND GFCI protection. What does this mean exactly? It can't be on both so does it mean that all outlets within 6 feet of the sink in the kitchen are on GFCI but after 6 feet they are no longer supposed to be on GFCI but rather AFCI protection? That and everything within 6 feet of the sink is supposed to be on GFCI including dishwasher and refrigerator and other non coutertop outlets. Is that the change? How would you wire the kitchen if half of the 2 appliance circuits are going to be mixed AFCI and GFCI?

As others have written, you can use AFCI breakers and GFCI receptacles or a combo GFCI/AFCI breaker. Be careful tho, if you are running MWBCs, there arent many 2p combo breakers. You'd have to use a 2p AFCI and then 2 GFCI receptacles after the neutral has been split from your MWBC.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As others have written, you can use AFCI breakers and GFCI receptacles or a combo GFCI/AFCI breaker. Be careful tho, if you are running MWBCs, there arent many 2p combo breakers. You'd have to use a 2p AFCI and then 2 GFCI receptacles after the neutral has been split from your MWBC.
Remember please: the term is Dual Function or Dual Purpose.
Combination or combo breakers are just rated as a particular type of AFCI. They do not include the Class A GFCI function.

Status
Not open for further replies.