Exterior residential GFI location codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Note that for the most part the code only tells you what receptacles and other outlets must be protected, not where the GFI device is to be located. The exception being that whatever it controls a GFCI receptacle must be readily accessible.

JFletcher

Welcome to the forum. W/o knowing your code cycle, any local amendments, area building codes, etc, an exact answer isnt possible.

In addition to 210.53(E), I think that a GFCI protected outlet must must installed within 25' of any HVAC eqpt (no code ref) and >6-<20' of a permanent pool (680.22(A)(3)) or cord-and plug spas (680.42(A)(2)).

kwired

Electron manager
2014 NEC, probably 2011 as well - if it is outdoors and is 15/20 amp 120 volts it will need GFCI protection and in nearly all cases whether a dwelling location or not. The general rules are in 210.8

Where are receptacles required to be located is in 210 part III, for dwellings in particular 210.52.

mgookin

One part of the code says when or where you need a receptacle outlet.

Then another part of the code says which receptacle outlets in a residence need GFCI protection.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is a tricky subject because contractors think if you have one on the front step area and one on a back deck then you have satisfied the code. Unless the receptacle on the deck is accessible from grade then you still need to add 2 receptacles at the front and back. You also need one for the a/c as stated above.

I did one small house where I had to have 6 exterior receptacles to satisfy code. You need one on every deck, 2 accessible from grade and one for the a/c. Unless one can satisfy the other requirement you need them all

Status
Not open for further replies.