Hard wired clothes dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I apologize for this not being job related, however I feel it can stimulate good discussion regarding the proper installation of clothes dryers on older 3 wire circuits and/or those which are hardwired. I normally do not post instructional videos, however considering this video appears to be produced in a professional manner I feel that it may mislead DIYs and apprentices using such as an educational resource.

I counted 6 code violations, and perhaps the most concerning is the improperly torqued screws on temrinals listed for solid only. What do you think could have been done differently hard wiring this dryer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaZUH3G0Bg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I had to use a torque screw driver on a sewer lift control panel remove and replace/upgrade project for my fair city. First and only time ever. The screw driver sucked. It had a grip designed by a master of torture. The second one my boss bought was just as bad. Using either gave me a pain in the arm for months. Even worse a bunch of wires that were torqued to the five psi spec fell out of terminals.

Torquing bolts and nuts I'll follow specs and do what I am told. Don't talk to me about torquing screws.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Torquing bolts and nuts I'll follow specs and do what I am told. Don't talk to me about torquing screws.

:rant:

Dave, that is a callous attitude, every time I wire a dryer I send three torque screwdrivers out for calibration and use only one for each screw so that the calibration is spot on. To do any less with these connections is paramount to murder.

Kidding aside that was a pretty bad video.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Dave, that is a callous attitude, every time I wire a dryer I send three torque screwdrivers out for calibration and use only one for each screw so that the calibration is spot on. To do any less with these connections is paramount to murder.

Kidding aside that was a pretty bad video.

Did you see who made it? Its supposed to be reputable :eek::eek:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I had to use a torque screw driver on a sewer lift control panel remove and replace/upgrade project for my fair city. First and only time ever. The screw driver sucked. It had a grip designed by a master of torture. The second one my boss bought was just as bad. Using either gave me a pain in the arm for months. Even worse a bunch of wires that were torqued to the five psi spec fell out of terminals.

I trust me own perception, but Id think anyone would agree thats to loose.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Dave, that is a callous attitude,....
I have been working some long hours in an old kitchen that got a new hood, trying to get it done before the first scheduled Christmas party on Wednesday. I come home at night covered in a semi-organic matter that can't be removed without a scrub brush.

Upside- I'll get a free dinner, probably because I'll be working there right up till the time they start serving.

Downside- I'm noticeably crankier.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I have been working some long hours in an old kitchen that got a new hood, trying to get it done before the first scheduled Christmas party on Wednesday. I come home at night covered in a semi-organic matter that can't be removed without a scrub brush.

Upside- I'll get a free dinner, probably because I'll be working there right up till the time they start serving.

Downside- I'm noticeably crankier.

you could not pay me to eat out. Its just me, but some places are less then spotless :sick: Surprisingly places like MacDonald's and Subway tend to be the cleanest. Speaking of which a double quarter pounder sounds nice right about now :angel:

iwire

Staff member
you could not pay me to eat out. Its just me, but some places are less then spotless :sick: Surprisingly places like MacDonald's and Subway tend to be the cleanest. Speaking of which a double quarter pounder sounds nice right about now :angel:

You get your food at a supermarket right?

Rest assured it is treated no better than at a restaurant.

Life tip folks: Wash your produce thoroughly.

FWIW I work in at least a 1/2 dozen supermarket chains and I give Wegman's props for having the cleanest back rooms and display cases.

Other stores I can find mushrooms growing under the lettuce.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Mostly when its prepared foods. The less processed and the more prepackaged it is the better.

FWIW I work in at least a 1/2 dozen supermarket chains and I give Wegman's props for having the cleanest back rooms and display cases.

It varies place to place. Whole foods is getting progressively worse btw.

Last edited:

JFletcher

What do you think could have been done differently hard wiring this dryer?

Cord and plug wire it. Title the video "Electric Clothes Dryers: Improper Direct 3 Wire With Loose Connections". Video was going well until they snipped the ground, then it just got worse from there. NM connector on MC, connector clamped bare wires, loose connections, stranded on solid lugs (violating mfg instructions), and while it's very hard to tell, I'd bet the wire strippers cut strands from the wiring, derating its ampacity.

Is hard wiring residential clothes dryers even done? Is this some misguided attempt at saving 40$ to not buy a cord and 4 wire receptacle?

kwired

Electron manager
Cord and plug wire it. Title the video "Electric Clothes Dryers: Improper Direct 3 Wire With Loose Connections". Video was going well until they snipped the ground, then it just got worse from there. NM connector on MC, connector clamped bare wires, loose connections, stranded on solid lugs (violating mfg instructions), and while it's very hard to tell, I'd bet the wire strippers cut strands from the wiring, derating its ampacity.

Is hard wiring residential clothes dryers even done? Is this some misguided attempt at saving 40$ to not buy a cord and 4 wire receptacle?
Though hard to tell for sure, I'd bet they only used 12 AWG conductors.

If you were a DIY purchasing your own materials - where do you get A/C or MC cable in only 5-6 foot lengths? My guess is you need to purchase about 25 foot package at a big box store? I really doubt they sell enough to want to cut this kind of cable and especially in the needed 10/3 or 10/3 with ground. I'd bet the typical three wire cord and receptacle is cheaper or at least about the same cost. You may be able to get cut lengths at an electrical supply house.

mgookin

And those aren't fire sprinklers you're looking at. Many big grocers have bug spray dispensers disguised as fire sprinklers in many supermarkets. At 3am there's a mist of bug spray to kill the cockroaches. That stuff gets on everything you buy whether packaged or not.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
And those aren't fire sprinklers you're looking at. Many big grocers have bug spray dispensers disguised as fire sprinklers in many supermarkets. At 3am there's a mist of bug spray to kill the cockroaches. That stuff gets on everything you buy whether packaged or not.

I thought those were misters which are used for that during normal business hours.

norcal

A Micky D's was built close to my house, after was open for a while ate there, it reminded me why I don't eat there, the meat does not even taste good, since the Stalinist PC crowd made em take the beef tallow from the grease used for the fries, they do not taste as good as they once did.

Kitchen grease is nasty any way you look at it.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
A Micky D's was built close to my house, after was open for a while ate there, it reminded me why I don't eat there, the meat does not even taste good, since the Stalinist PC crowd made em take the beef tallow from the grease used for the fries, they do not taste as good as they once did.

Kitchen grease is nasty any way you look at it.

I agree, but it seems that Mcdonald's tends to keep the cleanest kitchens overall these days. I cant find the links, but Ive seen media make reports that some of the worst conditions were actually locally owned Chinese restaurants and buffets.

Status
Not open for further replies.