vintage receptacle with aerial

Status
Not open for further replies.
vintage receptacle with aerial

That's a receptacle that was installed in the early days when 'home' radios went from battery powered to AC powered.

I don't know if the 'ARIEL' slot went to anything more than a bare wire run inside the wall. Perhaps it was carried all the way to an outdoor antenna, especially if the receptacle was on an outside wall.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes I have one sitting on my work bench that I removed from an old house. The aerial slot was connected to a roof antenna for presumably a television.

qJAfhkm5iArNFkf-51AGeG6U47jYsBYL7jWtG26rBqgzGf6FFzV4tGhm3xNq1M5G-QI2oxk4MbxU38sGX24cuz-3WTRTkQZDvehKvire5Cj5AsfEs-FX3Q2Zlq2lkgk_rnV9V0llUWYSBWohzMoKzGICWSs50rObwN2qpAzybNfViEjLM6AkxJqkiQEP8Ca_0WUK55VZKFPx3LZatyAdcCowtU9A6NcYfiIC0g_lruGCcrvSh9IbXXrPfq-xvj__p3NOLSRA3JumLQYrH11Oew6jKkGiGFXCSu6HC9kRPwGkuMw7VfEofl3GjT9WOputmuqZivvonZH5KyJWXvsIwJu97truXag3oKmUGt11HCRdDgo8quKbXmmeKfU1nsQHH-VkumhylL-4LA1hMe6H-4vpMalbweOL8eClvLsIVUfnKX2ySRKgEDLvFtZ56FFeyXN9SrVCmYvwX3xIekPItiJVC4llmo2APlaeFFbe1ELKgQVAeg3Ef9NG0m6ychs_o-AmaWy2Rv0o7V1Cl4XCbx88HtCYUBlMOkMVMzalPhcuPx0dDNWWz_C02XZBs1DMieI=w222-h447-no

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not likely to have been for TV. At TV frequencies a balanced "twin-lead" wire would have been used.
Coax was not seen in consumer environments at that time.
The wire would have been a "long wire" unipolar antenna for shortwave bands. The earth connection could have been a simple ground rod or the building GES, but should have been relatively short.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I remember correctly the device had 300 Ω twin lead wire connected to it. The homeowner said that it was for an old roof antenna. Are you saying that these weren't used to television at some point, could it have been used for radio?

I should have checked Google first. :)

Aerial-Ground-Power.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If I remember correctly the device had 300 Ω twin lead wire connected to it. The homeowner said that it was for an old roof antenna. Are you saying that these weren't used to television at some point?
300 ohm twin lead is a balanced feed circuit and the center of the antenna element could be insulated (dipole) or optionally grounded (folded dipole.) It was used for TV, FM, and some Ham bands.
If properly mounted (almost impossible) it has a lower loss over distance than coax.
You could use this socket for twin-lead if it has two poles on the aerial side (hard to confirm from the picture.) The three pole variant may have been produced for awhile, but never, AFAIK, combined on a time with power.
If it has only two poles total it is old AM/shortwave and using it for twin-lead would violate its markings but work just fine if you do not connect a ground wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.