Three Phase 480VAC -> 208/120 VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a three phase 480 VAC -> 208/120 (Delta wye) xformer protected on the primary by a 60 amp breaker w/o the instantanious trip. I am suppling a 125 breaker panel. Can someone please tell me what size wire I need to run for the secondary side and how do you calculate the wire size concerning this determination.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I have a three phase 480 VAC -> 208/120 (Delta wye) xformer protected on the primary by a 60 amp breaker w/o the instantanious trip. I am suppling a 125 breaker panel. Can some one please tell me what size wire I need to run for the secondary side and how do you calculate the wire size concerning this determination.
With no more information that you have given, and if the 125A panel has a 125A main CB, consider sizing secondary conductors for 125A. You will need to look up the size and type up in T310.15.

You may also want to read Art 450 on transformers, and maybe look for a class as well.

And you probably should get and post the transformer nameplate information. That will help.

ice

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The secondary conductors must be sized according to the OCPD where they terminate. For a 125 amp OCPD you would need a minimum of #1 copper conductors. System bonding jumper, SSBJ and GEC are sized according to 250.66 and the size of the secondary conductors.

Yes.....Vidor Texas. I have an Engineer that says to take 45,000 (kva) and divide 208, then use the 1.73 multiplier for three phase as well as 1.25% according to the NEC which = 156 amps so a 1/0 would be the correct size. I'm not sure, but I'm to size according to the Secondary side of the Xformer and not the 125 amp Panel, right?

I believe the #1 would suffice; however, #1 is extremly hard to get
The secondary conductors must be sized according to the OCPD where they terminate. For a 125 amp OCPD you would need a minimum of #1 copper conductors. System bonding jumper, SSBJ and GEC are sized according to 250.66 and the size of the secondary conductors.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes.....Vidor Texas. I have an Engineer that says to take 45,000 (kva) and divide 208, then use the 1.73 multiplier for three phase as well as 1.25% according to the NEC which = 156 amps so a 1/0 would be the correct size. I'm not sure, but I'm to size according to the Secondary side of the Xformer and not the 125 amp Panel, right?

Basically transformer secondary side conductors are sized per 240.21(C), which pretty much says they need to be sized, at minimum, to the protective device they feed.
Article 450.3 is about providing protection to the transformers, not the conductors.
Article 408 has requirements for protecting panel boards.
These three sections work in harmony.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

125 Amp conductors would be the minimum based on the OCPD. This is a design issue and I'm thinking that you could feed a 20 amp OCPD with #12's on the secondary.

kwired

Electron manager
Assuming this means you have a 45kVA transformer, what you have there is 45,000/208/1.73=124.9 amps close enough to 125 to call it 125.

If you are supplying a 125 amp overcurrent device you need minimum of 125 amp conductor.

If you have 125 amps of continuous load (and not using a 100% rated breaker)- then your minimum conductor ampacity and minimum overcurrent protection both will need to be increased by another 25%. So that would leave you with needing a 156 amp conductor and next standard overcurrent protection device of 175 amps.

AFAIK the 45 kVA transformer would be rated for 125 amps continuous loading.

There's what I was looking for, and that was "Continuous Load". Oh...and yes....I meant 45 kva. and also, I forgot to establish the footage since that is very important according to the NEC. The footage is 75 feet from secondary side of Xformer to 125 amp line-side breaker panel. Thanks guy's you've been very helpful. Enjoy your holidays....
Assuming this means you have a 45kVA transformer, what you have there is 45,000/208/1.73=124.9 amps close enough to 125 to call it 125.

If you are supplying a 125 amp overcurrent device you need minimum of 125 amp conductor.

If you have 125 amps of continuous load (and not using a 100% rated breaker)- then your minimum conductor ampacity and minimum overcurrent protection both will need to be increased by another 25%. So that would leave you with needing a 156 amp conductor and next standard overcurrent protection device of 175 amps.

AFAIK the 45 kVA transformer would be rated for 125 amps continuous loading.

templdl

I have a three phase 480 VAC -> 208/120 (Delta wye) xformer protected on the primary by a 60 amp breaker w/o the instantanious trip. I am suppling a 125 breaker panel. Can someone please tell me what size wire I need to run for the secondary side and how do you calculate the wire size concerning this determination.
Mmmmm, a breaker W/O instantaneous trip? Whose breaker is it and what is the part number? Since the secondary breaker for this transformer protects the transformer from being overloaded the primary breaker's purpose is to trip should there be a transformer short circuit failure removing the transformer from the distribution system.

Status
Not open for further replies.