What am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

My take on it, you could use a 2 1/8 deep octagon box (if that gives you enough room for wires) using the innermost holes for mounting the box to a 2x4 therefore leaving the outermost holes for you to use long lag bolts thru fan bracket up thru box into 2x4. Would satisfy mounting restrictions. Just watch those wires and bolts.

This is an option as well, but to your point I don't like those lags running inside the box with all those wires.

JFletcher

I think you might be in a little bit of a jam. As far as I know paddle fan boxes with machine screw are suppose to be 10-24s. I don't believe that 2 8-32s are considered proper paddle fan support. I do know that they make a metal pancake style paddle fan box that comes with 10-24 screws. Hypothetically, if the 4 square is securely mounted, I think that you could get a 4sq to round flat mud ring, send bolts down from the back of the 4 square through the factory holes, nutted on the underside, passing through the ring, into the pancake box, nutted again on the other side. Knock out the center k.o. in the pancake and put in a pass through snap bushing. J-box would still be accessible by removing the pancake, this compliant. I think.

My concern with this is only that if the square to round ring (never used one) has slots instead of holes, vibration of the fan could work loose the screws.... the bolts from the box to the fan would be good (to me), but why the pancake after the square to round cover? Strahan could just as well use a 4 11/16" box with pre-installed studs for the fan and 1 or 2-gang ring flush to the rock.

Im not sure that any mudring/box combo is rated to carry the weight of a ceiling fan. :blink:

Strahan

I think he said octogon was a problem because of conductor counts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes I did. need to do the calc's but if I go with the 4" box without mud ring will the fan housing cover this? I know most come with a big shroud or cover but didn't want to take the chance of customer picking one that doesn't.

kenman215

My concern with this is only that if the square to round ring (never used one) has slots instead of holes, vibration of the fan could work loose the screws.... the bolts from the box to the fan would be good (to me), but why the pancake after the square to round cover? Strahan could just as well use a 4 11/16" box with pre-installed studs for the fan and 1 or 2-gang ring flush to the rock.

Im not sure that any mudring/box combo is rated to carry the weight of a ceiling fan. :blink:
I suggested it to help with the exact thing you were worried about, vibration. You would have attachment points at the back of the the 4 sq, at the 4sq screw holes where the ring attaches, and at the pancake. A couple of lockouts at the pancake should finish her off.

JFletcher

Yes I did. need to do the calc's but if I go with the 4" box without mud ring will the fan housing cover this? I know most come with a big shroud or cover but didn't want to take the chance of customer picking one that doesn't.

I've never seen a canopy smaller than 5". and if the paddle fan is flush mount, you are looking more like 8-10".

I suggested it to help with the exact thing you were worried about, vibration. You would have attachment points at the back of the the 4 sq, at the 4sq screw holes where the ring attaches, and at the pancake. A couple of lockouts at the pancake should finish her off.

gotcha! :thumbsup:

kenman215

Too many fans out there to know for sure. If it's a hunter, probably covers. If it's a casablanca, no way it does.

kenman215

I've never seen a canopy smaller than 5". and if the paddle fan is flush mount, you are looking more like 8-10".

gotcha! :thumbsup:

Also remember that the diagonal on 4" square is 4 x the square root of 2, roughly 1.4, totalling 5.6". 6" canopy minimum would be required to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.