IBEW dues (working vs non-working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined the IBEW in May 2014 and was put on a high waiting list that I'm still fairly low on to this day. I got hired by a non-union contractor a few months ago but am still paying union dues. Should I be paying working or non-working dues? I thought I would only pay working dues if i was working for the local.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Should only be paying membership dues.

Working dues get deducted and paid through payroll of a signatory contractor.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Nothing like paying dues for no union representation/protection. Been there done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Should only be paying membership dues.

Working dues get deducted and paid through payroll of a signatory contractor.

Bingo.
Nonworking dues get paid as long as you wish to maintain membership in the IBEW.

working dues depend on the jurisdiction where earned, from income derived from a
dispatch thru a local union.

if they want the money, then they have to do their job, by providing you with your job.

and while we are at it, i think that the business reps and business agents compensation
should be DIRECTLY indexed to the percentage of hours worked in that area by the membership.

if you have a membership of 500 members, that is 20,000 man hours a week. if only 4000 hours are
reported in that week, the the BA and reps pay should be indexed to 20% of their full package, including
benefits. minimum wage laws, of course, should apply.

bring that up as a motion at your next general meeting, and see how it flies. Solidarity, brothers.
we can start by putting the BA on piecework. :angel:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Solidarity, brothers.
we can start by putting the BA on piecework. :angel:
Good luck with getting that one to carry a vote. :D

In all honesty, do you think the working membership percentage is controllable by the business administrators?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Good luck with getting that one to carry a vote. :D

In all honesty, do you think the working membership percentage is controllable by the business administrators?

no, of course not, but it'd sure give him a compelling reason to do his job, wouldn't it?
think of the entertainment value....

"damn. the BA drug up, and took a call out of the hall.... couldn't make his mortgage payment
on $208 a week. go figure..... had to put the tools back on......

in all honesty, the working member percentage is controlled largely by the working membership.
i've been doing this almost 40 years, and during that time, i've seen the most arrant prima donna
attitudes expressed by the brothers, who felt this or that job was beneath their self pronounced
legendary skill set.

so they didn't do walker duct, 'cause it was too heavy.
and they didn't do housing, 'cause it was housing.
and they didn't do underground, 'cause it was dirty.
and they didn't take a call for such and such, 'cause the shop sucked.
or the drive sucked.
or the foreman sucked.

so other people did those jobs. and developed skills. and now, there is a perennial glut in
most locals of chronically unemployed or underemployed electricians.

and it was, and remains, a self inflicted wound, imho.

and we have a policy here of not discussing labor union issues for a good reason.
so i'd better shut up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.