208 1 phase 20 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

The equipment schedule says provide 208 1 phase 20 app circuit.
The service is 240/120.
Are they asking for 1 hot208 and 1 neutral or 2 hots =240 no neutral / 1 neutral.
What am I not understanding?

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The service is 240/120.
Are they asking for 1 hot208 and 1 neutral or 2 hots =240 no neutral / 1 neutral.

If the equipment really needs 208 and cannot accept 240, then you will have to use a transformer to get it.
208 is normally found in 208Y/120 three phase four wire.
If it can tolerate 240 connect it from hot to hot with or without a neutral, depending on whether it has a neutral terminal. Provide an EGC in all cases.

electricalist

I believe the architect/engineer may not realize this is not a Y system.
I ask if they could specify 2 wire or 3 wire. No response yet.

iwire

Staff member
The service is 240/120.

That would be two hots, no neutral.

I would make sure the engineer is aware you have 120/240 single phase service.

Pizza

The service is 240/120.

What is the equipment? Depending on what type of load it is, 208 volts 1phase might suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFletcher

208V 1ph is generally provided by two legs of a 208Y/120V 3ph service. You could use B->N of a high leg delta service to get your 208V provided the load will be very small. If this flies, note you must use full rated 240V breakers, not 120/240.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The service is 240/120.

I have a 3 phase 240/120 v.
B phase being 208 to ground.

OK. Do not use B phase to ground. Let the engineer know that you have high leg delta and see whether 240 is acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
OK. Do not use B phase to ground. Let the engineer know that you have high leg delta and see whether 240 is acceptable.

Also tell him he wasn't very thorough if he didn't realize this was 240/120 delta and not 208/120Y, and there possibly is other things that need a second look from him.

electricalist

Also tell him he wasn't very thorough if he didn't realize this was 240/120 delta and not 208/120Y, and there possibly is other things that need a second look from him.
There's a few things that have the same wording and my concern was the same as yours.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Someone has a problem. The best solution would be to get the kitchen equipment at 240V.

A 29 amp load on a 50 amp receptacle doesn't look good.

kwired

Electron manager
There's a few things that have the same wording and my concern was the same as yours.

Yes, if designer thought it was 208/120, they may have some load/balancing issues that need a harder look if the high leg is going to be avoided on most everything except actual three phase loads.

kwired

Electron manager
The load might be limited to 40 amp MOCP. Although a 50 amp receptacle is permitted, it could mislead someone into thinking it was a 50 amp circuit.
There is no standard 40 amp receptacle, if you need more then 30 but 50 or less then a 50 is your only choice. Said 50 amp receptacle can have less then 50 amps OCPD, might be rare to see less then 40 on it but is not a code issue if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.