tap rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Can I use the outdoor tap rule tap to a 200amp subpanel off a 200amp main service it's 120/240v single phase.

In general it is not a tap when all the conductors are rated above the breaker size.

So it sounds like you would just have a 200 amp feeder that splits into two directions which is fine as long as the load calculations are good.

jeremy.zinkofsky

You would have to use the tap rules if you are connecting to the load side of the main service breaker. If you are tapping off of the line side then it falls under service taps to which you only need to ensure that there is properly rated overcurrent protection per nec. Check out article 230.

You would have to use the tap rules if you are connecting to the load side of the main service breaker. If you are tapping off of the line side then it falls under service taps to which you only need to ensure that there is properly rated overcurrent protection per nec. Check out article 230.

I would like to expand on the topic of "service taps". First, and kinda just a matter of semantics, but there aren't really "service taps." When you tap a service conductor you are creating another set of service entrance conductors, and the rules for this are in 230.40. Other things that must be considered are grouping of disconnects and the length of service conductors allowed in the structure by the ahj.

iwire

Staff member
I would like to expand on the topic of "service taps". First, and kinda just a matter of semantics, but there aren't really "service taps." When you tap a service conductor you are creating another set of service entrance conductors, and the rules for this are in 230.40. Other things that must be considered are grouping of disconnects and the length of service conductors allowed in the structure by the ahj.

I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.